Is JiraService Desk an add-on for Jira (in terms of local server installation)

Mike Kite December 13, 2017

Reason I ask: we already have Jira.  I'd like to put Jira Service Desk on the same server, but the installer is showing me folders which are identical to the existing Jira install folders.  I don't want to damage anything, but I would like to add JiraServiceDesk, and if possible, integrate it with Jira.  I don't know whether to accept the defaults or to specify separate folders during the installation.  Thanks

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Mike Kite December 15, 2017

Actually, I discovered a link inside Jira which suggested adding Jira Service Desk, with a 'try it free' caption.  So I clicked it.  It installed itself just fine and we're evaluating it now.  Problem solved.  If all software worked this well, I'd be out of a job.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 13, 2017

In linguistic terms, no.  Atlassian now have "applications" and "apps".   Apps are the new name for add-ons (ne "plugins).  Applications are products that either run on their own, or are added to other products.

JSD and Software are "applications" for Jira.

Technically though, yes.  They're still "add-ons".  In the sense that you add them to an existing Jira installation. 

Installing them from an installer will try to install a new Jira.  To add them to an existing one, log into your Jira and go to Admin -> Manage Applications.  (Rather than Manage Apps/Add-ons)

Suggest an answer