Is Jira Nex Gen project going to replace Classic jira one day?

Cyril Bassan
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
March 25, 2019

I need to create some new projects in my company and i'm wondering if i should create them in Nex-Gen or classic, depending if classic is going to disappeared at one point or not. 

4 answers

2 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 25, 2019

don't be concerned w/ this happening and certainly not at the expense of making the right project template decision now. If NG ever replaces classic it will be a long time away AND Atlassian will have to provide a clean migration process for the classic or simply allow them to live on.

0 votes
Answer accepted
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 25, 2019

Hi Cyril - Welcome to the Community!

Lots of speculation out there. Here is another thread, but it, too, is based on opinion. 

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/Will-JIRA-classic-projects-eventually-be-phased-out/qaq-p/1036064

I tend to agree with it, but have not seen anything official from Atlassian that I remember. 

0 votes
Ethan V. September 29, 2020

March 31 2021, they are going to replace it. Petition Atlassian now.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 29, 2020

Hi Ethan, could you share your source for this claim?

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 30, 2020

Hi @Ethan V. , thanks for sharing. However, I don't see a reference to moving away from Classic projects. What I see is the plan to cease support for the old issue view in favor of the new issue view. Maybe I missed it??

Like Christian Giroux likes this
0 votes
Cyril Bassan
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
March 25, 2019

Thanks, we really like the Jira Classic in my company and so we are going to continue to work with it. 

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 25, 2019

Us, too.  :-)

Suggest an answer