Insight - reset fields when others change values

Jacques February 8, 2020

Hello,

I have the following issue: I'm using Insight Asset Management and have 3 custom fields that have been set up to be dependent on the values selected in them.

For this purpose assume I have the following objects:

• Company (with a list of companies)
  • Department (each department belongs to only 1 company)
  • Employee (each employee belongs to only 1 department and as such to only 1 company)

I've created the corresponding Insight Custom fields to use them in my Jira project. They are single select fields.

When I select one of the companies I correctly see the corresponding Departments. After having selected the Department I also see the correct Employees.

The issue arises when, after having selected values for all three fields: I now go and change the Company. To my suprise the Department and Employee fields remain with the values I had set before.

I would have expected for the Department and Employee fields to reset because the Company field has changed in value.

Is there a way to force these fields to clear their incorrect values when the source field changes?

Thanks for any feedback!

1 answer

0 votes
Nader Nassif
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 10, 2020

Hi Jacques,

I will paste the answer here as well for all to benefit from the info :)

This will work out of the box if the parent field is of type Insight field and the child is set to be of type "Referenced Insight field". The referenced field will be cleared if the parent field is cleared.

Cheers!

Nader

Mindville team

Petr Vaníček
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 19, 2021

Hi @Nader Nassif ,

how we should proceed in case of we need dependency for third field on two previous?

Example:

Company

Locality (depends on Company by objects assigned to Company in Localities)

Port (depends on choosen Locality and Company)

So if we choose value in last field and change Company we expect reset of fields below. Or at least some kind of validator so user will not be able to create request.

Thanks for any tip.

Like Jacques likes this

Suggest an answer