Inline jira popups for "next gen" agile boards not functioning. lots of ajax 403s, 404s, and timeout

Andrew Norman June 8, 2023

using the chrome browser, go to a Jira project (Next gen) agile board that has tickets in it. Click on the link:

expected: popup of the Jira ticket in the link should happen.

actual: nothing happens when clicking on the link (though if you right click the "open link in new tab" option, the ticket loads successfully.

inspecting the UI using developer tools, I see lots of JS 403, 404 errors and timeouts. here's a sample:

The 403's seem like they are per company jira project. The 404 is a "watermelon" error.

async-profilecard.9a29a71b1cc1100021a4.8.js:sourcemap:192     GET https://{masked}.atlassian.net/gateway/api/watermelon/organization/containsAnyWorkspace?{masked} net::ERR_ABORTED 404

commons.04b9e6b0e5588671c1b0.8.js:sourcemap:870     GET https://{masked}https://{masked}.atlassian.net/rest/bitbucket/1.0/repository/summary/find?type=bitbucket&orgName={masked}&repoSlug={masked}&_={masked}{masked}&repoSlug={masked}&_=1{masked} 403

2 answers

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 9, 2023

I do not see any similar errors at all. 

403s and 404s are usually indicative of either a service being completely offline, or by network problems getting to them.  As I can't replicate the problem, I would want to take a look at your network - could it be blocking the calls, or not resolving the IP addresses correctly?

Andrew Norman June 15, 2023

No completely online. Other links work. I think the problem is specifically when you have tasks with subtasks on the jira board. The subtask links work with the popup but the link of the parent task with subtasks does not work in line.

The non-subtasked jira issue popup links seems to work ok.

The if you were to right click the parent issue link and choose "open link in another tab" then that also works.

It just seems like the parent inline links are the ones that are broken (for about 2 weeks now)

Andrew Norman June 15, 2023

if other links work ok, it's got to be a bug in the handling that either renders jira with subtasks in the agile board view or the javascript that handles the inline subtask view handling when the link is clicked. or theirs some javascript not loading.

Its likely one of those issues. 

Did atlassian have a release in the last 2 weeks that might have introduced this?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 15, 2023

No, they've not released anything new that might be doing this.

No-one else is reporting this sort of problem, which means it it something ont your side, not theirs.

Andrew Norman June 26, 2023

don't think its anything on my side. Its a particular scenario.

we use "next-gen" jira projects. In our projects we use jira boards with issues that have subtasks.

It's the issues with subtasks that feature the problem. When you click on the link of the issue itself in the agile board (not the link of its contained subtask), then the task fails to open in a popup (aka nothing happens).

If you click the links of the sub-tasks, they open as a popup just fine. Issues without subtasks open just fine as a popup as well.

if you right click the issue link as "open in a new tab", its link will successfully open fine.

So because of that, I'd think there is an issue with a javascripting that the page uses to manage the popups.

been going on for 4 weeks or so now. 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 26, 2023

"Next-gen" projects were renamed as "team managed projects" years ago.

That does not change the facts that 404 and 403 errors are networks errors, not server errors.

I don't feel like this is getting anywhere.

TBH, the whole atlassian 2 pronged support model are both unproductive antipatterns

1. having the official clerical admin managing the account who has no understanding of the product or the problem files the issue with support (submarine antipattern)
  2.  having the empowered user interact with and unempowered community to try to resolve and troubleshoot an atlassian code problem

neither approach works and they only create infinite time eddies for anyone who get caught in the vortex!

if it was a network issue then all the calls would work consistently. Its always the parent links that fail while the child and child-less links succeed. Explain how that can happen as a network issue?

How does the "network" know that the url for TICKET-345 is a child (loads) and its parent TICKET-123 is not (doesn't load)? If the URLs are both the same, they should both load the same. 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 26, 2023

I completely agree with you on the getting-nowhere feeling.

Where I am stuck is that 403, 404, and timeout errors are not usually server errors, they are network errors.

Jira won't serve up any of those errors when you're looking at issues, parent or child.  It's the server or network you are looking at that is doing it, and they're doing it because there is a network issue.

You're absolutely right that 345 and 123 should render the same, but Jira is not discriminating between them, it will always serve up the issue you asked for (after checking permissions, which will serve up a "nope, no permissions" in the app, not an HTML problem).  

Again, you are seeing nothing but network problems.  It's not the software, almost certainly not your client (browser), nor the server.  Your browser is almost certainly asking the right questions.  The server is answering them.   Your network is throwing our 403 and 404 errors because it can't serve properly.

Andrew Norman July 12, 2023

explain to me how clicking a link directly creates a network issue whereas clicking the same link via a right click "open in a new tab" does not?

If the one works and the other doesn't its an issue with the inline javascript issue.

I also have the same behavior whether I'm connected to the corporate VPN or from home (aka no internal network) so there's that as well.

I think we should drop the "its the network" hypothesis and move to another possibility

Andrew Norman July 28, 2023

Issue still exists. 

I'm the same guy as the poster. Just had to switch from a google-managed account id to a non-managed one 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 28, 2023

403 and 404 errors are network errors, they mean that either you do not have access to a page (something Atlassian Cloud does not do), or that the page does not exist.

If you are entering genuine urls for pages that exist on Cloud, and you get a 404, it means your network is unable to get the page to you.  If Jira was saying the page was not there, you'd get a Jira error page, telling you the issue was deleted or secured away from you.

There's no point looking at Jira, it's not the problem.

Andrew Norman August 4, 2023

oddly what I see is happening is that the popup event only works to the right of the jira ticket number (i.e the title of the ticket)  but not the jira number itself.

but you can right click on the jira ticket number and 'open in a new tab'. that part  works

so I think the jira issue is a div event handling issue where the event handling for the inline ticket popup is a smaller geography than the link it is supposed to represent.

I suspect that was a defect introduced by the last jira update

0 votes
Andrew Norman June 8, 2023

anyone else seeing popup failures with agile projects recently?

This has been happening consistently the last week or so.

Refreshing, closing pages / browsers, rebooting computers doesn't seem to remedy the issue

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events