Inline editing working on some but not all projects

Jeff Foege October 1, 2021

I'm stuck. I have a custom field that is a single select. In Prj #1m=, I can edit this field inline without any trouble. When I hover over the field it says "Click to edit" and if I click I get the list values to select from. In Prj #2, if I hover over the field it says "Edit in dialog". How do I change it back to allow inline editing? I have the field in my screens; Create, edit and View. Some other fields in Prj #2 allow inline editing but this one particular field. I don't know how it got changed for this Prj #2 but I want to change it back. 

We are using Jira v8.10

1 answer

0 votes
Tuncay Senturk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 2, 2021

Hi @Jeff Foege 

Welcome to the community!

The condition for inline editing is to add the field to the Edit Issue screen for the screen scheme associated with the Project/Issue Type. 

You need to check the screen scheme carefully.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/inline-editing-does-not-work-for-some-fields-in-jira-779160693.html

Jeff Foege October 4, 2021

I read that thread from the link above. The field in question is in the Edit & View screens in the scheme for that issue type. When I create the Bug type and it loads, if I hover over that field it will briefly say "Click to Edit" but a second or two later all it says "Edit in Dialog" when I hover over it.

In the same project on a different issue type and different screen schemes, also has the same problem. The custom field (single select) is in the Edit & View screens. 

~jeff

Jeff Foege October 7, 2021

So what would cause a field to "Edit in dialog" only if its in the Edit & View screens of the issue type? Other custom fields in the same project can edit inline. I've been searching and searching but so far no resolution. 

~j

Terry Beavers September 9, 2022

I started experiencing the same issue recently with just one project and what I found was the cause was I added a snippet of JavaScript to the Summary field's description in my field configuration schemes for the project having the issue, which is used to auto-populate the Summary field.  Well apparently Jira doesn't like that because once I removed the code from the Summary field description in the field configuration scheme, VOILA! my inline editing starting working again.

So now I am back to the drawing board on how to auto-populate the Summary field because it is a required field when creating any Jira issue, so you can't even use a post-function to auto-populate the Summary field.

Suggest an answer