Incoming mail handler - creating duplicate comments

Beom Koh August 28, 2018

Hello,

I recently upgraded JIRA to 7.11.2 from 7.X.X (don't remember the previous version.)

My org has setup incoming mail setup to add comments. It was working flawlessly before the upgrade but this feature now creates three same comments(duplicates) instead of one.

Is there anyway to resolve this issue?

5 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Beom Koh March 31, 2019

It's been 7 months since I reported this bug.  I hoped that it would get fixed as they rev-up the version but I still have this issue (I am at Jira Software 8.0.1).

I do understand that 'Starter' license users do not have professional support from Atlassian but this is a bug affecting our day to day usage of the tool.  (More importantly, this feature used to work way back in 7.X version)

I hope that Atlassian steps up and take care of their customers.

Stephen Sifers
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 2, 2019

Hello Beom,

After reading through all of the above posts and your comments, this issue has sat for a while without any action or assistance for you. You are correct the start license users do not qualify for support offering outside of Community. More about this may be found at Atlassian Support Offerings.

For your mail handler issue, something is causing Jira to pick up the message multiple times thus creating double or triple comments. If you’ve been through the above KB on how to resolve this and that did nothing, then the next step would be to remove the mail handler and recreate to see if this resolves the issue. The reason for this is there might be something else configured within this mail handler that is not being updated or something has gone wrong during an upgrade.

Using the new KBs, please run through setting up a new mail handler using the following KB; Creating issues and comments from email.

If the issue still persists, please do let me know and we will track down the problem together.

Regards,
Stephen Sifers

Like Bryan Mayo likes this
Beom Koh April 2, 2019

Dear Stephen,

Thank you. I deleted / re-created all my mail handler and the issue is resolved now.

Not sure what the root cause is but the problem is resolved.

Thank you

Like # people like this
Marcin Kokoszka February 2, 2021

FYI

I had the same problem with Email This Issue add-on. It was creating duplicated comments. Long story short after reading above Stephens advice I've removed and created again mail handlers in JETI config. It seems like it did help. 

P.S. I have also increased delay time in Jira Incoming mail config.

Like Stephen Sifers likes this
0 votes
Beom Koh September 2, 2018

I am still having this problem... It seems like there is no way for me to contact Atlassian directly as I don't have required support plan.

Does anyone know how I can escalate this issue?

Thank you

Bastian Stehmann
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 2, 2018

With @AhmadDanialis somebody from Atlassian already involed (as you can see with the Atlassian Team Badge.

Maybe you should reply to his post and you can get help from Atlassian that way.

0 votes
Bastian Stehmann
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 28, 2018

Hi @Beom Koh,

can you please check if there is anything in the logfiles (starting with atlassian-jira.log in your APPLICATION-HOME/log folder).

Maybe it is something like this (although this should be fixed:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/duplicated-issue-creation-comments-or-notifications-280068481.html

Beom Koh August 29, 2018

Hello - 

I do not see any errors in the log. I just see a log that it created two same comments in the log file.  [atlassian-jira-incoming-mail.log]

Anyone have any clue on this?

Thank you

2018-08-29 16:45:01,548 INFO [JIRA Office365] Caesium-1-3 anonymous    MH-1 MH-1[10001]: Added comment 'Test 777

------... 'by '310119403' to issue 'SNBD-413'

2018-08-29 16:45:01,581 INFO [JIRA Office365] Caesium-1-1 anonymous    MH-3 MH-3[10001]: Added comment 'Test 777

------... 'by '310119403' to issue 'SNBD-413'

0 votes
AhmadDanial
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 28, 2018

Hi there, Beom.

The first step that I would like us to go through is the steps listed in the Duplicate notification emails are being sent from JIRA applications section before we dig deeper into this issue. These involves the steps to:

• Enable outgoing and incoming mail log
  • Check for SMTP timeout errors in the logs
  • Check for issues that stem from third-party integrations related to mail
  • Mailing list in notification scheme

Additionally, check what specific notifications are being duplicated and the time gaps between them so we can further narrow down from there. Thanks.

AhmadDanial
Atlassian Team
September 2, 2018

Thanks for the mention, @Bastian Stehmann. :)

@Beom Koh, can you please go through the steps listed in the KB I shared and let me know the outcome of your diagnosis? Thanks.

0 votes
Carlos Garcia Navarro
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 28, 2018

Hi Beom,

I wonder if you're hitting a similar issue as the one described in mail handler creating duplicated comments JIRA server. Maybe you can try the suggested workaround?

Workarounds

Increase the timeout

1. Login to JIRA application as a user with System Administrator (global permission);
  2. Go to Administration > System > Outgoing Mail;
  3. Click Edit on the right of the SMTP server used to send those notifications;
  4. Under the SMTP Host section, change the value for Timeout by incrementing 10000 ms to the original value;
  5. Save the changes and check if the problem persists;
    • If so, increase the timeout by an additional 10000 ms and test again;

In case you still face problems after increasing the timeout to more than 60000 ms, please check for possible connection problems in between the JIRA application and your mail server or follow further workarounds below.

Also, I found a couple of JIRA tickets that sound related (although these ones are for the Cloud version):

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-67729

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-67475

Hope it helps,

Carlos

Beom Koh August 29, 2018

Hello - I tried it but the issue still persists. 

One question... Why do I need to change timeout setting for SMTP when mail handler should use POP (incoming mail)?

By the way, I also increased timeout for POP but the issue still persists.

Thank you

Suggest an answer