Inbound emails - Mailbox rules to autoforward

Alex Kelly October 3, 2019

If I email directly our jira email jira@xxx.atlassian.net then the inbound mail rules I have set up work as expected. If however I set a mailbox rule to forward or redirect mail from a mailbox to our jira email, then the inbound mail rules are not receiving the email and logging it as an issue at all. 

For example:

email to jira@myaccount.atlassian.net logs a new issue

email to issue@mydomain.com [auto-forward rule to jira@myaccount.atlassian.net] does not log any issue

I have checked our email gateway I know 100% that the email has left our Exchange. Is JIRA just not capable of logging emails that have been auto-forwarded or redirected by a rule?

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Dario B
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 4, 2019

Hi @Alex Kelly ,

Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

I checked your instance and this is just working as configured. Please find the full explanation below:

Forwarded emails usually have some lines added to their headers that makes them recognizable as auto-submitted or bulk emails (or similar).

If you compare the headers of both emails, the one sent directly to Jira and the forwarded one, you should be able to see those lines in the header.

In Jira, in the incoming mail handler configuration there is the bulk option to configure whether to process or ignore those emails. As you can read in the creating issues and comments from email documentation page:

Bulk:

This option only affects bulk emails, typically those sent by an automated service, whose header has the Precedence field set to "bulk" or the Auto-Submitted field set to "no". You can handle bulk emails several ways:

• Ignore the email and do nothing
  • Send the email to the specified forward email address (recommended to prevent mail loops between Jira applications and other automated services)
  • Delete the email permanently
  • Accept the email for processing

Since you have also created a support request for this same issue, I was able to get access to your instance and check. In there I could see that bulk is set to ignore for all the incoming mail handlers:

bulk-ignore.jpg

Please change the incoming mail header configuration to accept bulk emails for processing and let us know if this solves the issue.

Have a nice weekend.

Cheers,
Dario 

Suggest an answer