In an Automation, how can I get the count of tickets that match a JQL query?

Tom Keschl March 20, 2020

I'm trying to build an automation that will get counts of tickets in various statuses and publish that information out into another tool. But in the automation workflow, it looks like a scheduled event that has a query sends each item that meets the criteria through one at a time.

Is there a way to accumulate these values in a later step, or a different way to meet my particular need?

1 answer

0 votes
Earl McCutcheon
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 25, 2020

Hello @Tom Keschl ,

I reached out to the Automation devs and they noted that this is currently not possible with automation and you would need the "Send a digest" functionality described in the following feature to be implemented to get this result using automation for Jira:

An alternative approach would be to use the API instead via a "Search for issues using JQL (GET)" and the value will return a "Total" variable letting you know the number of issues found by the JQL that could be passed into your external application on a scripted function.

Check out the API Developer documentation for some getting started info if you wanna go this route:

Regards,
Earl

Suggest an answer