In a dashboard/structure I want to show parent-links by description name and not issues ID

Brent Peters April 27, 2020

I have a dashboard structure. I enabled the "Parent-link" column which works fine to print out initiatives. In the structure is shows the Parent-link
"Foobar-13875 - Initiative Name FOO"

Is there a way to have this structure parent-link for the initiative just show
"Initiative Name FOO" ? 

Trying to do this to conserve table space on the screen.

3 answers

0 votes
Marijn Plat October 19, 2023

Not an answer, but a similar question so I'm posting it instead :D Hope that's allowed!
I'm on cloud, and I have a list of epics in my structure.

we have configured 'initiatives' called E2E-epics which can parent an epic through a Parent Link.
I can successfully retrieve the parentlink in a column formula, successfully printing the summary of the parent.

However, just typing 'parentlink' in my formula does not seem to retrieve any object, as I am not able to 'search' on parentlink.xxx or anything.

What I'm interested in for my goal, is to show the implemented by linked issue of the parentlink of an epic. But if I cannot seem to locate the parentlink object, it seems an impossible task. Am I correct?
NB: the level above epic is not shown in the Structure.

Stepan Kholodov _Tempo_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 19, 2023

@Marijn Plat to avoid creating potentially confusing references and suggesting solutions that might not work on Cloud, please reach out to us directly through our support portal to discuss your use-case in more details.

Best regards,
Stepan Kholodov
Tempo

0 votes
Eugene Nechaev April 18, 2023

Is this a way to access (in formula) any properties of any Jira Issue by Key?

0 votes
Egor Tasa [ALM Works]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 28, 2020

Hi Brent,

If you are talking about Structure for Jira columns, then you can use the Formula column with a formula PARENT{summary} to conserve space.

Regards,
Egor Tasa

ALM Works

Brent Peters April 28, 2020

Hi

That makes sense but I had trouble.
I hit the "+" on the column header to add the new field formula.

For the variables selection I tried many different options from the list. (summary, parent-link, parent, ...).
I tried this same formula for PARENT{description} or summary, ... and several other formulas but nothing shows up in that field.

The Parent-link field comes up fine but the parent summary sitting next to it is blank.
The syntax passes.
Thanks for any assistance.

Screen Shot 2020-04-28 at 1.06.48 PM.png

Egor Tasa [ALM Works]
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 29, 2020

Hi Brent,

This is strange, and we'll probably best troubleshoot it through support channel. Can you write to support@almworks.com so that we can request various logs and troubleshooting actions?

Regards,
Egor

Egor Tasa [ALM Works]
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 25, 2020

I am going to post the resolution here so that community know the outcome. Parents of the issues were not present in the structure. There is an ambiguity: Structure understands parent as an issue that is present in a structure, while linked issues may have parents outside the structure and Parent Link field is showing them. The solution to the original problem was to parse Parent Link using a formula to show only the description.

Regards,
Egor

Eugene Nechaev March 30, 2023

" The solution to the original problem was to parse Parent Link using a formula to show only the description." - how? example?

David Niro
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
April 7, 2023

Hello @Eugene Nechaev ,

Welcome to the Community!  I could not find the specific resolution to this request.  

However, you should be able to get to what you need using the Issuelinks item property reference and the FILTER array function.

Something like:

issuelinks.FILTER(
$.type.outward = "yourissuelinkdirection"
).destination.description

Note that this is an onprem solution, it will not work on a Cloud hosted instance yet.  Please let me know if this helps.

Best,
David

Eugene Nechaev April 18, 2023

Hi @David Niro thx for the answer. Could you please add example to 

"yourissuelinkdirection"

is this Issue Key?

And I want to double check, Parent Link (I think) not the same as  linked items.

Brent Peters April 18, 2023

I was the original poster of this question/issue above. What I described below is how this issue was resolved for me. 

Firstly, is the issue was in the same view as the Epic, this would not be a problem and the above screenshot posted in 2020 would have worked. 

The issue for me was that in the Structure gadget, the Epic parentlink was not in the same view as the Jira issue list of children.  I did a customized formula  script. 

Make the "Options" - General, then edit the script.

if (parentlink,substring(parentlink,search("<span>",parentlink)+5,search("</span>",parentlink)-1), ("N/A")) 

Screen Shot 2023-04-18 at 11.11.09 AM.png

Suggest an answer