In Jira Automation, when using an Incoming webhook to create an issue, is there a Response sent?

James Mack April 10, 2021

In Jira Cloud Software, I'm using Jira Automation with a simple incoming webhook to create issues.

It would be really useful if Jira sent a response to the webhook back to the calling API, ideally with the Key of the issue created.

Is this already configured and if so, how do I capture the response?

Thanks

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 12, 2021

Hi @James Mack  -- Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

My guess would be "not yet", as this idea is in the backlog as a suggestion:

https://codebarrel.atlassian.net/browse/AUT-1031

Best regards,

Bill

YY哥
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 18, 2021

Oh, I also have this requirement to get the jira issue key back.

0 votes
Johnny Hermann November 9, 2021

I could really use this as well, in the form of "subprocedure", i.e., one rule calling another to perform an action and return a result back to the calling rule.

Workarounds are clunky and invite poor design.  E.g., one rule calls another (via web request), which then calls a third, which finishes the originally intended actions.  You might luck out in your context where the changes made in the subprocedure rule happen to fire events that other rules can be triggered from (although effectively not much different than an incoming webhook anyway).

Regardless, you have to chop the original calling rule into two parts, even though they logically belong together.  And you risk only part of the original flow actually completing successfully, say due to connectivity issues.

Suggest an answer