Importing subtasks for an existing issue from an excel file

Alphy Joseph September 4, 2018

Hey Everyone!

Very new to Jira so please help me out.

I have created an issue under which there should be about 15-20 subtasks, which as of now I'm looking at the data from an excel file and creating manually.

Is there a way I an make this process more efficient? Like import the excel or create a csv file and import that?

As there are more issues and just as many subtasks under each issue.

5 answers

3 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jürgen Späder
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
November 18, 2020

Jira Version: 

• v7.13.5#713005

First off some clarification:

1) Userstory issue exist in Jira and we want to import subtasks to the existing issues

2) naming conventions:

Jira -internal:

• issue_key: the visible issue number (e.g. TEST-123)
  • parent_key: the visible key of the parent issue (e.g. TEST-444)

Jira Import tool / csv fields:

• issue-id: a logical key in the csv, used for new isues only
  • parent-id:  a reference in the csv to the issue-id of another line in the SAME file for creating sub-tasks for NEW issues created in the SAME file.

Fact: Creating a NEW tasks and NEW subtasks (or issues with both issues_type = e.g. Story and Sub-Task) referrering to each other in one file works flawlessly.

Fiction: when it comes to create an issue with issue-type "sub-task" for an existing issue (issue-type != sub-task) this does not work at all with none of all descriptions i found so far.

I tried all of the following combinations (in CSV i have to fields name issue-id and parent-id):

2020-11-18 11_55_11-Jira-import-Test.xlsx - Excel.pngi know i missed some combinations but frankly speaking before i lost my mind i stopped with it.

Can anybody tell me the right field mapping (which field in the mapping dialog has to be chosen for my csv fields issue-id and parent-id) and how to fill the issue-id (empty or logical number?) and parent-id (visible issue number (aka jira.issue_key) or internal non visual issue_id (internal key inside jira)?)

thanks in advance

Isidoro Legido
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
July 2, 2021

The same problem here :-( : when creating SubTask for existing Issues I get an error of Invalid Parent and I have tried using the Key and the Id.

Any update on that? 

Thanks!

Jeffrey Reed
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
August 6, 2021

I'm having the same issue.  Can someone provide an sampl upload file?

Like Ananth likes this
Ananth August 6, 2021

Is there a basic template that could be followed?

0 votes
Answer accepted
Deleted user September 4, 2018

Hi @Alphy Joseph,

You can definitely do this taking the csv route. When you are creating sub-tasks for an existing issue, the only additional thing to keep in mind is that you will need to have the parent Issue ID called out in the csv file, against each entry of the sub-tasks.

While I would like to put more detail here, I noticed that this has already been discussed and addressed as part of the Community here - https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/CSV-Importing-of-sub-tasks-and-linking-to-existing-Story/qaq-p/224226

Hope this helps!

Thanks,

Kalyani

Alphy Joseph September 6, 2018

Thank You for your help @[deleted]

The link you mentioned says we use the external issue id of the parent in the csv file. Can you tell me how to find it? I am not an admin.

Deleted user September 7, 2018

Hi @Alphy Joseph - There is a clarification on the page link (https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/CSV-Importing-of-sub-tasks-and-linking-to-existing-Story/qaq-p/224226) shared earlier, that the Issue Key is what needs to be used in the context of a sub-task association with an existing (parent) Issue and not the Issue Id. Did you happen to try using the Parent Issue Key?

When you are in the Issue Detail View of a Sub-Task, the parent is shown where the red arrow is pointing in the screen capture below. Hovering on that will show the URL associated at the bottom of the browser that has the Issue Key (of the parent staying on the Subtask Issue View page) reflected.

If you have already tried this with no luck, please let me know. 

Thanks!

Kalyani 

CQ-4.PNG

Like Beeper Shanower likes this
Noel Fernando
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
September 7, 2018

Thank You @[deleted]. Yes it is the key and not the id to be uploaded. Was just a little confused on that aspect. Thank You so much for clearing it

0 votes
Answer accepted
Rambabu Patina _Appfire_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 4, 2018

Hi @Alphy Joseph,

You can prepare a csv file with the needed subtask details and import it into the jira.
For how to prepare csv file please see: https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver073/importing-data-from-csv-861253680.html#ImportingdatafromCSV-formatPreparingyourCSVfile

And see how to Importing data from CSV.

OR have a look on some third party apps which manages jira issues using excel.
Excel connector for Jira (paid app) and Jexcel LITE (free app)

Hope this helps for you.

Thanks,
Ram.

Alphy Joseph September 6, 2018

Thank You Ram!

1 vote
Debashish Chakravarty October 5, 2021

@Alphy Joseph 

Here is something which I created and worked for me in my JIRA project.

With this template, we can create multiple subtasks under a user story present in JIRA. Create a .csv file with the columns as mentioned in the attached image.

SubTask Creation in Bulk.PNG

Only point to note is map - Issue key to Parent Id while you map the fields from .csv to JIRA fields.

Do let me know, if this helps.

Thanks,

@Debashish Chakravarty 

raad fageeh March 2, 2022

did not work

raad fageeh March 2, 2022

Screenshot (1).png

Debashish Chakravarty March 2, 2022

@raad fageeh - Yes that is something which I mentioned in my answer, that needs to be done.

Screenshot 2022-03-03 012749.png

In your case, you have mapped the parent id in two fields hence its giving an error. Once map them correctly, save the configuration file.

I did this now again, with the saved configuration file, it worked and issues got created in bulk.

Joseph Cohen March 15, 2022

@Debashish Chakravarty  I just used your solution and it worked!!! Thank you so much!

Like Debashish Chakravarty likes this
Debashish Chakravarty March 17, 2022

Welcome !!! @Joseph Cohen 

natalia_lezhai January 31, 2023

hi @Debashish Chakravarty 

It gives me the error even though the fields are mapped as you suggested

Screenshot 2023-01-31 at 12.45.19.png

Debashish Chakravarty February 15, 2023

@natalia_lezhai  - Can you please this, I just tried with my sample field mappings, did not get the error as mapping in csv thing, please try check. Not sure why it gave the issue.

Screenshot 2023-02-16 032807.png

Screenshot 2023-02-16 032943.png

0 votes
Claire Robinson June 22, 2022

@Debashish Chakravarty wondering if you can help. I think I have followed what you have suggested but I am struggling to get this to work.

Snag_217d9102.pngSnag_217df79b.png

Ananth June 22, 2022

Hey,

One other solution that works for me is that I keep the Issue Id column empty and Parent ID column will be the standard issue key. Sending a sample format as well. Hope this helps.SampleUpload.png

Claire Robinson June 22, 2022

That worked for me, thanks so much :)

Like Ananth likes this
Debashish Chakravarty June 23, 2022

Yes, it would also work that way; only thing is additional column of Parent ID to be maintained in the upload .csv.

I reverified it, was able to still move further and map the Issue key to Parent ID,

Subtask Mapping.png

Since, it worked for you by keeping the Issue ID column blank as mentioned by @Ananth 

Like Ananth likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events