Importing single project from backup. project key exist in target instance

Sergio _ June 21, 2022

I have a local project with several tickets and attachments.

I'm triying to import to remote instance, but that instance contains a project with the same project key than my project to import 

If I change my key in local my project still have ABC key as an original project key.

How I can Import from Backup in this case?

I tried to edit my database tables to remove the old key. but  it doesn't work for me.

Receiving this messgae before the import.

"There are more than twenty attachment entries that do not exist in the attachment directory. See your logs for full details."

I can't use CSV I don't want to lost historical data.

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Ivan Lima
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 21, 2022

Hi @Sergio _, it looks like you're using the Jira project import tool. I'd suggest using an app like Configuration Manager for Jira, where you can change the key during the deployment, and it does the job pretty well. Also, do not make database changes; it will likely give you a hard time and won't work as expected, especially changing project keys.

How many issues are there? Alternatively, have you explored creating a new project, moving the data, and exporting it? OR, do the same in the target and delete the project to release the project key?

0 votes
Radek Dostál
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 21, 2022

The solution is not to change the key in the destination instance as you found out - old key is still booked. If you tried to manually remove the old key then unless you followed an up to date guide and are absolutely certain you did everything right, I'd consider rolling back to that point because you can very easily cause a lot more problems down the line than it sounds.

Out of box, Atlassian KBA would recommend you to change the key on your source instance, then generate a new export, and import it with the new key.

The attachments warning can be twofold, either you followed https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver/restoring-a-project-from-backup-938847691.html and have included the source attachment directory in the import directory - in this case, your backup might just have old/invalid references to attachments, this does seldom happen and it will import whatever attachments it can import that are available, or, the attachments directory for import is either missing or is in incorrect structure, in which case it would not import any of the attachments at all (so issues without attachments).

Suggest an answer