Import user stories into Jira from Excel

Jim Stewart July 21, 2021

We are just finishing discovery on a project and are about to start entering user stories. The delivery manager would very much like us to start the user stories in Excel (or Google Sheets) and then import them into Jira. Is this (for both or either) fairly easily doable or are we better off just going straight into Jira? 

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 21, 2021

That can certainly be done but cumbersome method IMO vs simply using the tool directly. But if you want to import just save as CSV - create-issues-with-the-csv-importer 

Yeah, I agree it's double the work. I'll see if I can talk them out of it. 

For the record, it turns out there's a good reason to use the spreadsheet. This company has a template. As you enter user stories and estimates, it does calculations to figure out what you need in terms of developers, designers, etc. Pretty slick. So one of the guys has already worked in this fashion and is savvy on working on the CSV. 

Jerry Suhrstedt October 7, 2023

@Jim Stewart you noted in your answer "this company" has a template.  Which company?  How can I get the template?

Thanks!

Jim Stewart October 7, 2023

@Jerry Suhrstedt That was two years ago and I haven't been on that project since then. Regardless, it was proprietary and so, I neither had a copy (the product owner did) nor could I give it out if I had it. 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events