Import project in Jira cloud from other Jira cloud instance

Cecilia Tufvesson May 21, 2021

Hi!

I read https://support.atlassian.com/jira-cloud-administration/docs/import-issues/

But the part with overwrite makes me scared :-)

We have one cloud instance A, 50+ users and 10 projects.

In cloud instance B we have two  projects I want to import to A.

The project I want to import from B has not the same key names as in A.

And I reda that making a backup is the best way to import the projects.

Also I don't need to import any users.

How is the nest way to do it?

The projects will be used for references, no one is working in them but we use issues for history things.
We are on standard plan so can't archive and move the archieve.

Any advice?

Thanks,

Cilla

1 answer

0 votes
Prince Nyeche
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 21, 2021

Hi @Cecilia Tufvesson 

You should go with CSV importer as it's the best way to import your projects from one cloud site to another.

Ok thanks, but how do I export from other project?

From the issue page? But then what about the project, workflow etc

Is there no way 'just' to change organisation for a project?

Prince Nyeche
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 21, 2021

No, you have to do the other configurations manually. I would suggest going through the link I sent. Exporting the issues are done from the issue navigator page.

It would be good as well, if you read articles that explains how migrating projects from one instance to another work. You might be having an expectation of the way it should work but there are certain level of details that goes into the process which you should be aware of, if you're administering cloud instances.

Cecilia Tufvesson May 22, 2021

I have read, thanks

Just thought it was strange that there were no easier way to move a project between organisations since in my head theoretically it should just be a matter of change where it's pointed from. But I guess this is not a common use case.

Thanks for the help!

Cecilia Tufvesson June 3, 2021

Tried to read but just don't get it to work, the export looks fine and csv file has many issues, but I only get 1000 issues when I import and I'm the reporter and writer on everything

I also have problem with the time format looks like 04/Jan/21 9:13 AM in csv file and in config I write "config.date.format" : "DDMMMYY H:mm a" but no luck

Also how will attachments come over I map the field but don't get how the images come to new, which it can't I guess but then I don't see how to do it at all

Prince Nyeche
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 3, 2021

Hey @Cecilia Tufvesson 

Prior to import you can change the format of the datetime to the format you want before import from the CSV importer page. It is imperative that you get the right format as saved on the CSV file to avoid any potential errors. Please do not change the Advanced configuration for datetime, that would be a wrong move.

Prince Nyeche
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 3, 2021

What error are you getting for attachments? Typically if it's the same instance, the images can be imported into the project. However if it's from a different instance, there's a workaround to import attachments.

I don't get any errors but also no attachments, everything just looks super weird. Me as writer only 1000 issues, me as reporter on everything etc
I obviously just do it wrong

Prince Nyeche
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 3, 2021

If you're on a standard cloud plan, you might want to seek proper help from support, so they can look into the files you're trying to import and explain better. On community you can't share such sensitive information.

Mmm thanks, I have submitted a ticket, giving it up for now

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events