Import or Bulk Import

Alton Brisbane January 12, 2022

Hi, New to Jira.  If I import or bulk import an issue from one Jira project to a new Jira project will I loose history, tracking or Epic links in the new/gaining project?  Thanks.

2 answers

0 votes
Pramodh M
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 12, 2022

Hi @Alton Brisbane 

Welcome to the Atlassian Community!!

If you are trying to move the issues in the same instance use the bulk move feature where you will not loose the metadata

If you need to move the projects from one instance to another use the cloud site import feature

https://support.atlassian.com/migration/docs/perform-a-cloud-to-cloud-migration-for-jira/

For importing issues via a CSV format, please find the reference link here

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-cloud-administration/docs/import-data-from-a-csv-file/

Thanks,
Pramodh

0 votes
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 12, 2022

Hello @Alton Brisbane 

Welcome to the community.

It depends on how you import the data. If you are using the CSV import process, that does not include importing issue history, but can include maintaining links between Epics and their child issues (for Company Managed projects, but not for Team Managed projects).

If the projects exist in the same Jira instance, there is an option to Move an issues from one project to another. In that process, the history of the issues is retained.

Alton Brisbane January 12, 2022

Hi Trudy, Thanks for your reply.  Both projects are in the same instance.  There are users still working on issues from the loosing project.  If I understand this correctly, when the ticket is moved to the gaining project it will no longer be available in the loosing project.  Since both projects are in the same instance all tracking and history will remain in place.  So it sounds like I need to wait until they finish working on the tickets or give them access to the new project.  Thanks again.  Alton

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 12, 2022

Hello @Alton Brisbane 

An issue exists in only one project at a time so, yes, if you use the Move function to move an issue (and its history) to another project, then it no longer exists in the original project.

Can you explain more to us about the problem you are trying to solve? We might be able to provide better guidance if we understand that.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events