Import 1 additional column to Task list

Zaldy Parian
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 5, 2019

Hi all,

I have imported a long list of User Stories (as Tasks) to our Jira project. After a couple of weeks, we needed to add another column (let's call it 'RTM Ref.') to our User Stories csv file. Is it possible to import just 1 column to our Task list in Jira without wiping out the existing data?

Note that the Task list in Jira have already been updated by several users since I uploaded them to Jira. I want to keep those updates intact while I add a new custom field for RTM Ref. and upload the values of this field to the existing Task list in Jira. 

Thanks.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Hernan Halabi - Elite IT Consulting Group
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 5, 2019

If you are the jira administrator then you can. You must import a new csv that contains that information along the ticket IDs of the current tickets and the ticket summary, in theory you don't need anything else, in my experience add the issue type and ticket status as well. When doing a new import to update existing tickets via csv corrupted the existing tickets because those things I mentioned were missing. It doesn't mean that is going to happen to you, this was on an older jira version but you never know and could be risky if it's critical information.

Consider doing bulk updates if possible to update that extra field safely

Zaldy Parian
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 5, 2019

Thanks for the quick response, Hernan.

I'll try your suggested process. And update this question as soon as I got it done.

Yes, I did considered bulk update, but there are too manual picking of items to update. But you're right, it is a safer option.

Cheers.

Suggest an answer