Come for the products,
stay for the community

The Atlassian Community can help you and your team get more value out of Atlassian products and practices.

Atlassian Community about banner
Community Members

Community Events
Community Groups

If a ticket is pointed and then closed does it still count towards velocity?

Hi All,

I'm struggling to find any answers to this but I was wondering, if we're using story points in our project and we bring a ticket into a sprint that has been pointed and then we close that ticket, does it still count towards the overall velocity?

I'm slightly confused as Closed is a "Done" status however we personally use it for things we haven't done any work on, for example if there's a bug that's a duplicate or maybe it's just a non issue.

Any help would be appreciated!

1 answer

1 accepted

First of all, not sure what do you mean by "pointed". 

All issues counted towards Sprint Metrics / Velocity if they were moved to the status marked as completed for that Board (please check last green column in Board configuration and all statuses mapped there).

Also if issues was added into a Sprint AFTER Sprint start, it would be counted as new adds (non-planned) and if it was moved to the one of statuses mapped as "completed" (added in Last column statuses list on the Board) BEFORE Sprint Close time, it would be counted towards velocity.

If you moved issues that was completed BEFORE Sprint Start, it would be counted as "Completed out of the Sprint" and would not be counted towards velocity. Also issues moved to status which is not mapped to "Done", would not be counted as completed in that Sprint (you could create new column with such statuses OR move that statuses as unmapped, so issue will be disappeared from Board/Sprint once moved to that Status).

NOTE: You could find / change the list  of Statuses that counts towards Sprint Completion on Board (top right dropdown menu) -> Configuration -> Columns.

JIRA Last Board Column.jpg

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS

Atlassian Community Events