I would like to know if we can link EPIC to a EPIC, I know we can link User story and Task to EPIC?

Shubham Bajpai September 7, 2022

I have tried to link user story and task to EPIC but would like to know if we can link EPIC to a EPIC. I would like to make one as a parent epic and then link another epic to it and then in the triage below link user story and task.

4 answers

1 vote
David Niro
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
September 7, 2022

Hello @Shubham Bajpai ,

David from ALM Works here.

This can be done using Structure.  You can utilize issue linking to connect your Epics.  Then you would insert the epics you want at the top of your structure and extend by issue link to those you want on the next level. 

The ideal approach would be to define some level above an Epic though.  May I ask why this is may not be an option in your case?

Best,
David

0 votes
Vickey Palzor Lepcha
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 27, 2023

Using Roadmap in JIRA , you can first define a hierarchy , say you want a Hierarchy like this ;

INITIATIVE - DELIVERABLES - EPIC .

After defining this in Roadmap hierarchy , you can add multiple EPICS under one DELIVERABLE and multiple DELIVERABLES under one INITIATIVE .

So INITIATIVE sits on top , followed by DELIVERABLES and then EPIC, followed by STORY , TASK , SubTask etc and so on.

0 votes
Hannes Obweger - JXL for Jira
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
September 20, 2022

Hi @Shubham Bajpai

if you're open to solutions from the Atlassian Marketplace, here's another app that you might like: JXL for Jira.

JXL is a full-fledged table/spreadsheet view for your issues that allows viewing, inline-editing, sorting and filtering by all your issue fields. It also supports custom issue hierarchies, based on built-in parent/child relationships as well as issue links. 

This is how your use case could look in action:

nested-epics.gif

The setup for this in JXL is trivial, it just took me a few moments to set up. Also note that inline issue creation would respect the configured parent/child relationship, meaning that you can easily create "nested epics" using JXL.

Any questions just let me know!

Disclaimer: I work on JXL.

Best,

Hannes

0 votes
Deleted user September 7, 2022

You can't make an epic a child of another epic, but if you have an add-on like Advanced Roadmaps, you can create issue types above the epic and thus have parent tickets for epics.

can it be done using structure?

can in structure we link epic to epic?

Also if using Advance Roadmap we would have to create something like a parent epic and then link the child epic to it, correct?

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events