I want to use Authy for 2FA, but I cannot find the number to set it up

Deleted user March 26, 2020

Authy wants the number it uses to start setting up a Jira/Atlassian 2FA.  On Atlassian's side I have the information I need to enter into the Authy account once I get the account started.

Does anyone know the number Authy uses to recognize Atlassian?

And also, why does it insist on connecting to my phone?  It is a landline, not a smart phone.  That is the whole reason I am using Authy in the first place!

Thank you!

1 answer

0 votes
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 3, 2020

Hi Joel,

As I'm sure you know, Authy is a 2FA service.  I use Authy for one of my accounts, but that said, I have only ever used this as an android phone app.  I never occurred to me that other users might be able to somehow use Authy without an Android or IOS device.

The reason it keeps asking for a phone number here is a means of identifying your account.  That phone number should be able to receive an SMS message.  If I recall correctly, that SMS message is needed in order to authenticate your account when you setup it.  If you used a landline, you're very unlikely to ever be able to SMS messages on it in my experience.

Check this out, Authy Landline - VoIP - connectivity issues,  it's a support doc from Authy's website.  It explains that

If you were able to receive SMS in the past but now cannot, your best solution is to see if you can temporarily use an alternate number (perhaps owned by a family member or friend) and install the Authy app. Once you have the app installed and can access your tokens via the app, you may turn off multi-device to prevent access from other members of your family! And update the phone number in the app later without delay.

Try this, I hope that helps.

Cheers,

Andy

Deleted user April 3, 2020

Hi Andy!

I don't have an issue getting Authy set up, I am using it for an Amazon account already.  The tough part is getting Jira / Atlassian set up.  Amazon had no problem with the fact that I am using a desktop version of Authy, but not so Atlassian it seems.

I am not clear why the need for a smart phone for authentication, it doesn't provide any more security.  In fact, due to vulnerabilities in cell phones it provides less.  So why the requirement?

I could go buy a $50 burner phone, I suppose, i have done that before.  But why should I have to spend money for such a simple thing?

Thank you for responding, I appreciate it :- )

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events