I want to create an automation rule that deleted a specific field

David Pleşu March 21, 2023

Automation rule :

when issue updated, rule is run

if Field A is empty

then Edit issue --> delete Field B

else Field A contains "Yes"

then keep Field B

I want to understand how i can make a then component that deletes a specific field when the condition matches.

Thanks. 

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 21, 2023

You can use the If/Else condition component. jira-automation-conditions 

Hey, i used the if/else condition, but in the "then" componet i don't see i action that delete a field, thanks.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 21, 2023

You cannot "delete a field" but you can edit a field and clear it or set to none.

Like David Pleşu likes this

When i set it to none ? This field will disapear ? If will disapear then how i cal set it to none 

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 21, 2023

Disappear from where? If you mean for the field to not appear, when viewing the issue detail view, then if you configure the layout to hide when empty, then if you clear the field B, it would be hidden. This assumes that you are using a company managed project. In any event, it would help to have more details of what your use case is, and what's your ultimately attempting to do by "deleting a field"?

when creating a issue, i have Field A with one option "YES", when you select "YES", you need to describe in Field B, but when you don't select "YES", the Field B, needs to be hidden after you create the issue. Something about this. 

Regards, David

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 21, 2023

If you are using company managed project you might consider using a cascading select field here if the options for field B are known. This would seem to be a better solution than creating an automation rule to clean up.

However, if Field B is a text field, and you wish to have the user provide details of why they chose Yes, in field A then you would need an add-on to achieve that. Of course, you could still cobble something together in an automation rule to clean up information in Field B if Field A is No or blank. 

Like David Pleşu likes this

Thank you very much!

Suggest an answer