I want to build burn down chart based on Status and not on the Column (Done)

Gopikrishna_Kunduru April 21, 2023

I have 3 columns in Scrum Board (To Do, In Progress, Done) for which there are multiple statuses mapped to show on board.

By default Jira is taking last column (Done) statuses and doing burn down in chart. I want to do burndown when workitem is in "QA Verified" status  which is actually mapped to In Progress Column.

Can someone assist how can we do this without changing the status mapping of columns.

2 answers

0 votes
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 21, 2023

Hi @Gopikrishna_Kunduru 

What problem are you trying to solve by doing this?  And, what would it mean to call something "done" on a burn chart which is still in progress according to your process steps?  How would this impact other indicators your team uses, such as velocity, definition of done, etc.?

Knowing these things may help the community to suggest other alternatives to help. 

For example, if you are assessing progress by status and flow, you could try using Atlassian's interpretation of a Cumulative Flow Diagram instead.

Kind regards,
Bill

Gopikrishna_Kunduru April 23, 2023

@Bill Sheboy Thanks for your reply. Below is my workflow and how i display the work items on Scrum Board based on Status. I want the burndown to happen if work item goes to status highlighted below in Bold (In Progress) to assess the progress of sprint.

To DoIn ProgressDone
NewIn DevelopmentComplete
Ready for developmentDevelopment Complete 
 Ready for QA 
 In QA 
 QA Verified 
 QA Failed 
 Ready for Prod 
 In Production 
 Production Validation 
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 24, 2023

Thanks for that information, and I was asking why do you want to do that?

Teams using the Scrum Framework often use the idea of a "definition of done", clarifying what it means for a work item to be completed.  This helps a team have a shared understanding with themselves and their stakeholders on the completeness of work.  This is one concepts to help with transparency in Scrum.

Your board layout has status values of "Done" and Complete" in the last column.  To Jira, that means you have identified those status values as complete in terms of a Sprint.  And you have many other status values in your earlier columns, such as "In Progress".  Calling things in earlier columns "complete" may not align with your team's definition of done, and could have unintended consequences, such as: invalidate velocity tracking, confuse stakeholders on the readiness of work, and break down trust with others.

If I am not explaining this well, I suggest meeting with your scrum master or agile coach to explain what you are trying to do and see how they might help.

0 votes
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 21, 2023

Hello @Gopikrishna_Kunduru

That can not be done with the native burndown chart.

You might be able to create something using a third party app. Are you open to getting a third party app?

Gopikrishna_Kunduru April 21, 2023

Yes Can you pls suggest.

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 21, 2023

I have not needed to solve this problem myself, so I don't know of a specific app that can be used.

Here is a search of the Atlassian Marketplace for apps that mention burndown charts. You can review each app to see if it can fulfill your need.

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/search?hosting=cloud&product=jira&query=burndown

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events