I see my own name as anonymous?

Baris Mutlu April 15, 2021

Whenever my colleagues make a change I get an email from jira with their name on the subject, but I also get emails when I make changes even though the "Get email updates for issue activity when: You make changes to the issue" option is not selected on my settings. My name is shown as anonymous. Anybody know why this is happening?

2 answers

0 votes
Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 16, 2021

Hello @Baris Mutlu,

Thank you for reaching out to Atlassian Community!

Just for a better understanding of the issue, I would like to know if you can share with us a screenshot of the notification where your name shows as “Anonymous” and also the notification that you receive when you make changes to the issue.

Is it happening with the same account that you are using here in community?

If that’s the case, the details of your account show correctly.

Please, share with us the screenshots of where your name shows as Anonymous, just make sure to hide private details.

Kind regards,
Angélica

Baris Mutlu April 17, 2021

Yes it is happening with the same account, although it might have been fixed after I updated my information. I only had my name entered, not my company or position. After entering those and making another commit & merge, I didn't receive an email.

Screenshot 2021-04-17 124319.png

Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 19, 2021

Thank you for the details, @Baris Mutlu.

Can you confirm with your Jira administrator what is set on Cog icon > General configuration > General settings? 

I added “Anonymous” on my site just to simulate what could be a cause.

Screen Shot 2021-04-19 at 14.25.57.png

The default value usually is “${fullname} (Jira)”.

If the setting is correct, then something is updating the ticket on your behalf.

Is it a company-managed (classic) or a team-managed (next-gen) project?

Baris Mutlu May 5, 2021

My admin confirms that the value is “${fullname} (Jira)”. I don't know about the project type. The e-mails are only coming when I merge a branch on GitHub. I'm using GitHub Desktop but for the confirmation of the merge the app directs me to my web browser.

Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
May 6, 2021

Thank you for the information, @Baris Mutlu.

Searching for similar cases, I found out that the issue that you are facing is related to a bug:

Currently, there is no workaround for that. 

Please, click on “This affects my team” and also watch the ticket above to receive updates.

0 votes
Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 15, 2021

@Baris Mutlu  Welcome to community. 

Is there an automation that is running?  Also what do your teammates see when an email goes to them from a change that is made?

Baris Mutlu April 16, 2021

I have no idea what an automation is, and my teammates see me with my name apparently.

Baris Mutlu April 16, 2021

no wait, now my teammate said my name was anonymous on her email as well. I'm signed in and I can see my name everywhere on the Jira website, as well as on Github.

Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 16, 2021

@Baris Mutlu If you go to your Atlassian profile is everything filled in https://id.atlassian.com/manage-profile/profile-and-visibility

Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 18, 2021

Now that you updated your profile, do your team members see your name on responses?

Baris Mutlu April 19, 2021

I still get emails when I make commits and I am still anonymous. Don't know what my teammates are seeing because they switched off emails entirely.

Suggest an answer