I need to find all features that are not in Implementing and have stories that are in progress

Thomas Cucolo January 14, 2021

I am writing a filter to find all active stories in a feature that is in Funnel. 

Project = (project name) AND issuetype = Feature AND Status= Funnel and Issuetype = story and status = In Progress

Each stands on its own but together nothing is returned, I have tried:

((Project = (project name) AND issuetype = Feature) AND (Status= Funnel and Issuetype = story and status = In Progress)

Still not returning anything 

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 14, 2021

So your first JQL is flawed as you are asking for issues that have two types and an issue can have only one type. A correct filter might be...

Project = (project name) AND issuetype = Feature AND Status= Funnel OR (Issuetype = story and status = In Progress)

with that said i'm a bit concerned with the potential relationship of Features and Story issue types. I assume Feature is an issuetype you have created or is this some advanced roadmap capability here? In my world if I create a "Feature" issuetype it would be at the same level as story.

Thomas Cucolo January 14, 2021

So my company uses Features for the name of an Epic. What I am looking for is a Product Owner not placing the feature/epic in Implementing when a developer has started to work on a story in the (epic)

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 14, 2021

rather than chasing out of process conditions why not take an automated approach to ensure things work the way you want. Use Automation to move the Epic to In Progress as soon as the first story is moved to in progress. If that is of interest just let me know. 

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 14, 2021

Parentheses are always your friend with multi-clause JQL, but they don't do anything when you're only using AND.

Project = (project name) AND issuetype = Feature AND Status= Funnel and Issuetype = story and status = In Progress

This will find issues where

• Project = X
  • issue type is feature
  • issue type is story
  • status is funnel
  • status is in progress

Note that I've grouped them by field to highlight the problem (AND is commutative, it doesn't matter what order it joins clauses together)

You're asking for issues that are features and stories at the same time.  As the issue type is a singleton, that can never happen.  Same goes for status, you're asking for issues which have two status at the same time.

So, my guess is that you mean "or" in some places (and when using OR, parentheses are really helpful!)

Project = (project name) AND ( issuetype = Feature AND Status= Funnel) OR (Issuetype = story and status = In Progress) )

This will find issues where

• Project = X
  • issue type is feature and status is funnel
  • issue type is story status is in progress
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 14, 2021

Or, is the question about when the stories within the feature which are in progress?

• Select all the Features
  • Where the project = X
  • And the Status = Funnel
  • And there exist Stories in the Feature...
    • Where the Story Status= In Progress

If so, that is not possible with out-of-the-box, JQL.  It would require a scripting add-on.

Suggest an answer