I need to create an acceptance criteria field in my user story form, how i can do that?

Fernando Echeverria August 1, 2020

I need to create an acceptance criteria field in my user story form. I am using jira software cloud based. 

2 answers

2 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Ste
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 1, 2020

Hi @Fernando Echeverria 

Are you looking to create a separate custom field for Acceptance Criteria?

If this is Next-Gen, this is how to do it:

1. Go to your Project and select Project Settings
  2. Select Issue Types from the left-hand menu and choose the User Story issue type
  3. Create a new "Paragraph" custom field from the right-hand "Create a Field" menu by clicking on it
  4. Give the field a name - Acceptance Criteria
  5. Click Save Changes

---------------------

If this is a Classic Project, it's considerably different. This is because Classic project custom fields are designed to be used across multiple projects so need different layers of configuration.

This is how I'd do it - but you can modify it as you see fit:

1. Go to Jira Settings (cog icon in top-right) > Issues
  2. First choose Custom Fields from the left-hand menu
  3. Press the blue Create Custom Field button in top-right corner
  4. Choose to create a Text Field (multi-line) - give it its name and press Create
  5. Choose which screen you intend to add it to (which your user story uses), and press Update. If you need to find which screen the user story issue type uses, go to your Project > Project Settings > Screens and look at the screen name for that issue type.
  6. Next go to Screens on the left-hand menu
  7. Locate your screen and press Configure on the right-hand side
  8. Locate the field and drag-and-drop it to the position you'd like it to be in (eg. under Description)
  9. Next go to Field Configurations on the left-hand menu.
  10. Locate the field configuration for your project (check in Field Configuration Schemes from the left-hand menu if unsure) - and press Configure on the right-hand side
  11. Locate the "Acceptance Criteria" field you created and press "Renderers"
  12. Change the Renderer to "Wiki Style Renderer" - this allows the field to use rich-text like bullet points, etc. Click to update.
  13. Finally, go back to your Project - and go into Project > Project Settings
  14. Choose Issue Layout from the left-hand menu
  15. Locate the screen your user story uses - and press "Edit Layout"
  16. Ensure the "Acceptance Criteria" field is in the "Description Fields" area - Issue Layout is what the new issue view is based on

^ If you want to only have the Acceptance Criteria field on the story screen and need new screens for other issue types, you'll need to create more screens and associate them through screen schemes / issue type screen schemes to different issue types.

See this page for information on screen creation (and on the right-hand menu how to associate these with schemes)

Ste

Fernando Echeverria August 1, 2020

I am using next-gen but for some reason the i can not see this "Create a new "Paragraph" custom field from the right-hand "Create a Field" menu by clicking on it" i do not have this menu. image.png

Ste
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 2, 2020

Hi @Fernando Echeverria 

That is a Classic Project - you can see this under the Project's name on the left-hand side.

Ste

Fernando Echeverria August 2, 2020

Yes, i used Next-Gen project and everything works very well, thank you

Benas Benetis November 5, 2021

thanks, it works

0 votes
Answer accepted
Carla Ann Rowland
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 1, 2020

Create a custom field with choices and choices for criteria and update the workflow with the parameters to meet that criteria before progressing in workflow.

If you want just criteria for creating the issue then take the field and make it required so that it cannot be empty upon issue update (or creation). The tricky part is to ensure that after initially populated any changes to other parts of that issue are not blocked because the required field had not changed.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events