I have both administrator and sprint manager roles but not able to complete a sprint.

Ekaterina Berestovenko April 18, 2023

I have all of the roles which are required for managing a backlog but the *Complete Sprint* button is not showing up.Screen Shot 2023-04-18 at 5.16.23 PM.png 

1 answer

0 votes
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 18, 2023

Hello @Ekaterina Berestovenko 

Welcome to the Atlassian community!

Are you working with a Team Managed project or a Company Managed project? That information will show at the bottom of the navigation panel on the left.

If it is a Company Managed project can you share with us the Filter Query for this board?

For Company Managed projects you need to have the Manage Sprints permission in all projects that are within the scope of the board's Filter Query. Also, the Filter Query must explicitly name the projects that are in scope.

Ekaterina Berestovenko April 19, 2023

Hello, thank you for your reply! 

It's a Company Managed projects, could you please guide me where I can get the Filter Query? 

Thanks! 

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 19, 2023

While viewing the board click the ... Button in the upper right corner and select Board Settings. On the next screen you'll have several options to choose from. Choose General. Scroll down to find the Filter Query setting. You'll see the name of the Filter and a little below that the JQL statement for the filter. I'd like to see the JQL.

Thanks Trudy! 

Here is it 

project = DST ORDER BY Rank ASC
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 19, 2023

Thank you for that additional information.

The next step is to review the Permission Scheme associated with the project and ensure you have the Manage Sprint permission.

Screen Shot 2023-04-19 at 11.05.03 AM.png

Are you a member of a group or role that has been granted that permission?

Are you able to Create and Start sprints on the board?

If you hover your mouse over the "Complete Sprint" button do any messages display?

Yes, I do have permission to be a Sprint Manager, and able to create a new sprint but unfortunately still not been able to complete a sprint. I am not sure why, looks like i have granted with all necessary roles.  

That's what it's showing me, and I do have this permission Screen Shot 2023-04-19 at 2.15.41 PM.png

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 19, 2023

Thank you for the additional information.

There may be an issue assigned to your sprint that is actually in another project and outside the scope of your board's filter.

Please go to the Advanced Issue Search screen and execute a search for 

sprint in <the name of the sprint you are trying to complete>

Two things to check:

1. When typing in the name of the sprint for your search, does Jira show you two matching sprints with identical names?

2. If not, review the results of the filter to see if there are any issues from a project other than DST that are included.

Jira does not prevent users from adding issues to sprints when the issues are not in the scope of the board filter where the sprint was created. When that happens, you won't see the rogue issue on your board in that sprint because the board's filter prevents it from displaying. But having that rogue issue in your sprint could block you from completing the sprint if you don't have the Manage Sprints permission in the rogue issue's project.

If this turns out to be the case, you may need to edit that rogue issue to remove it from your sprint. And you should also look into why it got added to your sprint. You can see who added it in the History of that issue. Jira does not prevent creation of sprints with identical names. Do you have sprints with identical names but from different boards in your system? That can cause confusion for users. You should implement a policy/process of ensuring sprint names are unique.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events