I have both JSU an Scriptrunner - should I keep both?

Dawn Cooper May 9, 2023

We have the Jira Data Center and are in the process of reviewing or current plugins for our annual budget. I am looking for specifics on the differences between Scriptrunner and Jira Suite utilities (JSU). Both have some similar features but is there a comparison chart to show what one does and the other does not?  

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Ken McClean
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 9, 2023

I don't know about a comparison chart, but ScriptRunner does pretty much anything you can think up, as long as you've got the Groovy chops to pull it off.  JSU is more of a.... utility suite.  If your org is using ScriptRunner for any kind of custom scripting, JSU won't replace that.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 9, 2023

Scriptrunner can do anything JSU can do, because you can write a script for anything that JSU does.  It also allows you to write other scripts that can do things that JSU does not support.

Until recently though, it was not "no code" like JSU, you did have to find or write scripts to replace some functions.  But a couple of years ago, I noticed our developers had added built-in scripts that don't need code to implement, ones that can replace every function in JSU (and a couple of other apps)

So a summary of the comparison is

JSU  SR 
Can do X  Can do X 
Cannot do Y  Can do Y
Like Dawn Cooper likes this

Suggest an answer