I have a question : How to get all added components as subtasks in Master Ticket creation in JIRA?

satish_cont24 June 7, 2021

I'm trying to configure JIRA cloud to get all added components as sub tasks while Ticket/Issue creation but I'm only getting first 2 components only as subtasks. All other components are getting ignored. Where do I check this and how to get all added components as Subtasks ??? Please help.

1 answer

0 votes
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 7, 2021

Hi @satish_cont24  -- Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

How are the first 2 subtasks (from components) being added currently?  If if this is by an automation rule you may want to check that for problems.

Best regards,

Bill

satish_cont24 June 7, 2021

Hi @Bill Sheboy ,

I'm using Automation rule for creating subtask with added component names. and I'm using contains "equals" of condition. But I'm only getting how many subtasks I have mentioned in Action Rules in Automation (it's static).

But my requirement is to create subtasks dynamically for added components while Issue creation process. For example, if user creates an issue with 6 components then after creation, User should see 6 subtasks there with Components names.

Could you please provide in any way we can achieve this requirement. Thanks in advance.,

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 7, 2021

@satish_cont24 thanks for confirming, as I suspected that was your use case.

There is currently no built-in looping structure/component in automation for Jira  (A4J) that can support that.  There are similar posts in this community forum where the person ended up editing their rule when a new component type was added.  In those cases, people added components to the project prior to use in an issue.

The only work-around I can think of is to simulate a recursive rule using a custom field as a flag, although that sounds a bit risky given the potential performance and timing issues with automation rules.

Suggest an answer