I do not want other admins to access/modify my workflows

Murugan Muthukrishnan
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
July 23, 2019

Hi, 

Is there a way to not allow other admins pick up my workflow? We have multiple technology teams and the admins from other teams edit the workflow my team uses. This is causing unnecessary problems. 

2 answers

2 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 23, 2019

If this is a problem you have a management issue

Put JIRA under CR

I STRONGLY suggest you treat JIRA like a production system, put it under change control (CR), and track all requests for any updates, especially new projects, new custom fields, changes in any of the schemes, etc. That way at least the reporter will know when the actions happen and you'll have a audit trail. I've worked many similar tools to JIRA and too many times no one knows anything about why they are configured why they are because there is no requirements or CR. Things are just done based on emails that have disappeared and hallway or lunch conversations.  

If you don't already have a separate change control tool create a JIRA project. I use a basic workflow with a few custom issue types:

Custom field: with a select list of create, update. The description would be to create a new field or modify a current select list, buttons, etc. of a current one

Create Project: I would have text fields for issue types, custom fields, select list/values, per issue types

New Issue Type: description would include all fields and workflow desired.

Workflow: Select list of Create, update, delete. Description of what needed.

Other: Select list of Notification Scheme, permission scheme, field configuration, other

This should get you started. If you aren't familiar with your CR process there should be a configuration management person to talk to.

The goal is to manage what you do and be able to track who asked for what. For instance, if someone wants a new custom field you want to check to see if there already is one you can use that they don't know about. JIRA will let you have multiple custom fields with the same name, which will just confuse you.

Alexander Bondarev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 23, 2019

@Joe Pitt , thank you for your comment, really useful!

How many users are on your instanse? 

How many jira-administrators do you have?

Like Ben Admin likes this
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 23, 2019

The latest instance I worked on had about 200 users and only me and one other JIRA admin.  However, managing a tool depends on requirements and control. Putting JIRA, or any other tool, under change control is even more important when there are more than one administrator and many users. I've maintained many tools in my 25 year career and users often bombard you with the way THEY want the tool to work, which is often in conflict with other user or management wishes. Having a took under change control prevents the 'hallway requests', and 'knee jerk' changes that often result from those requests. When someone says 'why did you do it that way' you will have an approved CR. And there shouldn't be any surprises when a workflow, screen, etc. change because as part of the CR process the users should be advance warning of what will change and when. 

Like Alexander Bondarev likes this
0 votes
Answer accepted
Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 23, 2019

Hello,

If a user has the Jira administrator permission, then the user can modify all workflows. You can not limit it.

You can use next-gen projects, but it has a few limitations considering classic projects

Suggest an answer