I cant add a label

Leighann1alexander July 18, 2019

I have an epic created that I previously added labels to but it wont let me add another one I have other epics I can add labels to I dont understand why it wont let me click in the box and add a label -- this EPIC is part of the same project as my other epics that I created and they work I created this epic but cant add a label?   any thoughts on why that is?

2 answers

2 votes
Ste
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 18, 2019

Hi @Leighann1alexander

It won't let you edit a label onto an issue you've previously created? Is this impacting just one issue or multiples in the same project?

It could be based on your team having a different screen for the 'Create' operation to 'Edit' - if the field is not on the Edit screen it would appear to lock.

A simple way to check is to access the issue's full edit screen and see if you can see the field. Alternatively, if you're the project's admin:

• Go to Jira Administration (the cog in the top-right of the navigation bar) 
  • Select Projects and choose your project
  • On the left-hand menu choose Screens
  • Open the expand arrow for the Epic issue type and choose the screen next to Edit Issue
  • Look whether Labels is on this screen

If you're a Site Admin, it will also let you change the fields and add the field Labels if needed. If not, you'll to request an Admin adds it.

^ If this doesn't resolve the issue, let me know :)

Ste

John Coffie January 12, 2022

It helped me. (3 years later)

Thank you.

Like Ste likes this
Ian Kleinfeld October 17, 2023

There is no "Screens" option...?

Screenshot 2023-10-17 at 9.12.59 PM.png

0 votes
Nilesh Raut May 18, 2020

Put the labels field on the create and edit screen of the issues.

Where? How?

This?

Didn't work. Can't add labels to cards, but can add them to issues when they're open. 

🤬
Screenshot 2023-10-17 at 8.41.12 PM.png

Prasanna Chandramohan
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
November 14, 2023
  • Go to project settings --> Click on Issues or expand 
  • You will find screens click on expand arrow for the Epic issue type and choose edit issue.
  • Look whether Labels is on this screen
  • If not, click on select field and type labels to add
  • You could also rearrange to any position.

Suggest an answer