I cannot find how to set up a time tracking report. I have time tracking turned on

Alison O_Brien January 5, 2021

I have turned time tracking on in my jira project per the document instructions. I cannot find the report in my reports. Go to Reports >Forecast and management > Time Tracking report.  What I missing? Do I need to get the Tempo Timesheets?

I am using this article:  https://confluence.atlassian.com/jira064/time-tracking-report-720416014.html

Thanks for your help.

1 answer

0 votes
Adam Rypel _MoroSystems_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 5, 2021

Hello @Alison O_Brien ,

the article you refer to is for Server/ Data Center 6.4. The report is also available in Cloud though - just navigate to the left panel of your project and scroll down to Time Tracking report, see the screen:

screenshot.PNGIt seems this report is not available in next gen projects though, just classic.

Regards,
Adam

Alison O_Brien January 5, 2021

Do you know if there is a workaround?  Can you change project types after creating tasks and tracking time? 

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 5, 2021

Hello @Alison O_Brien 

Welcome to the community.

Unfortunately you cannot simply "flip a switch" and change a project from Next Gen to Classic. This article talks about how you can migrate from one type of project to the other, though.

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/migrate-between-next-gen-and-classic-projects/

Adam Rypel _MoroSystems_
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 5, 2021

I suppose you are on next gen project then. You could either use some third party app as you mentioned - not really sure exactly which one works the best in next gen projects, you would have to try them out.

Or you can migrate to classic project - unfortunately it is not possible to just change project types - as mentioned by Trudy above. See how to migrate the tasks here: https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/migrate-between-next-gen-and-classic-projects/
The logged time should remain in the tasks. But please test all the scenarios first, I do not want you to lose any data! :)

Adam

Ilian Jäger August 16, 2023

So how am I supposed to visualize the tracked time in a next gen project? I didn't even know my project was "next gen". Actually I didn't even know that there is such a thing (I was never ask if my projec should be next gen or not). And what's the advantage of next gen if I have less functionaliy?

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 17, 2023

Hello @Ilian Jäger 

Welcome to the Atlassian community.

The advantage of Team Managed projects (formerly referred to as "next gen") is that the Project Administrator is able to customize elements like the fields and workflows, where such customizations for Company Managed (classic) projects can be done only by Jira Administrators.

Another advantage is that the Jira Administrators can choose to allow non-Jira Admins to create Team Managed projects, where Company Managed projects can be created only by Jira Admins.

Ilian Jäger August 17, 2023

Hello @Trudy Claspill 

Thank you for the quick reply.

Ok, Team Managed projects I understand, I just didn't know they were also referred to as "next gen". I also see (and appreciate!) the advantages of Team Managed projects.

I just don't understand how there is no way of visualizing tracked time (without using third party apps), when there is a feature for tracking time, especially when this feature already exists in the "classic" version. Is it planned to move this also to Team Managed projects sometime in the future?

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 18, 2023

I don't know what the plans are for implementing the reports currently available in Company Managed projects in Team Managed projects. I am just another user of the Atlassian products.

You might find some information on their Cloud Roadmap page:

https://www.atlassian.com/roadmap/cloud?status=&category=&enterprise=

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events