I cannot create a User Story inside an Epic, I only can create tasks

Gabriel Esteban March 17, 2021

Hello, I have created a new Jira project and I want to create User stories within my epics but I can only create Tasks. 

When I go to Backlog and click 'Create' I can only create tasks or Epics, but not User stories.

I have tried to create a 'Story' Issue type and also modified the Issues Schemas but it still does not appear. 

3 answers

0 votes
Pooja Kapoor February 14, 2024

My issue was similar where I was trying to add a story to one of my Epics from my timeline. When I clicked on create story, it was creating a task.

We need to actually choose one of the issue type as shown in the screenshot.

Untitled.png

Reason why I was getting the two options to choose from was that my project had both Story and Task added in the Issue type(check your issue types at Project settings>Issues>Types).

0 votes
Pedram Mireftekhari
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 17, 2021

Try this first: Project settings -> Summary -> Issue types and check what issue types do you have in your project. If you do not see that, click on the scheme to go to the mentioned issue type scheme and then add Story there.

Do not create a new issue type called Story as by default Jira Software comes with Epic, Task, Story, Bug issue types.

Thanks Pedram for your reply. As you can see in the attached, I created a Story Issue type since by default only Epic was available but it still does not work

Screenshot_4.jpg

And, I have even tried to set Story as default Issue type but is does not appear Screenshot_5.jpg

When I go to Backlog > Create I do not have the Story not a subtask I also tried to create 
Screenshot_6.jpg

Problem soved THANKS!

Pedram Mireftekhari
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 17, 2021

Remember that you have made a sub-task issue type called Story which is not what you may want. Sub-tasks can only be created under other standard-issue types.

Shannon Guy January 3, 2022

How did you solve this problem? I don't see the resolution in the thread. I'm having the same issue.

Like John Buckley likes this
Laxman Milli May 8, 2022

I've the exact same issue. And my project settings already contain the Story as one of the issue types. @Gabriel Esteban , How did you solve the issue?

0 votes

I have created a 'Story' Issue type and also modified the Issues Schemas but it still does not appear. 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events