I cannot add a user to the administrator or site-admin groups

Paul York February 27, 2019

I'm using the Cloud based version of JIRA and Confluence. I'm a member of the administrators and site-admins group. However, I cannot add another user to the administrator or site-admin site-admins groups.

When I attempt this I get a popup saying "Uh oh! Something went wrong. There was a problem adding the user to groups. Please try again in a few minutes"

Note- I can add the user to lesser privileged groups.

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Shwetha Suvarna
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 27, 2019

Hi Paul,

The issue could be that there are no more licenses available for the users.

Most of the time, we add the site admin or Jira administrator group as the default group for either Jira service desk, software or any other Jira products. When adding users to these groups, they by default consume a license.

Please follow the below steps to remove the groups from the Default access list:

• Go To administration page--> Product access
  • Remove the group from the default access of the products as below:Screenshot 2019-02-28 at 1.23.56 AM.png

I hope this helps. Do let me know if the issue persists.

Best regards,

Shwetha

Paul York March 1, 2019

Hi Shwetha

You was correct. I had run our of Confluence licenses. When you make someone a site-admin they consume both a JIRA and Confluence license. By freeing up a license I was able to add the user to the required admin groups.

Thanks for your help

Like Shwetha Suvarna likes this
Chris Martin _Not Coldplay_ May 18, 2020

Yup. Works for me too

Suggest an answer