I can't remove or add a new member to our Jira (free plan)

Sabeer Narula December 29, 2020

I understand why I can't add any members since we already have 10 people but one person we added quit as we added them and I cannot figure out how to remove them. I was the one who set up the Jira but I don't have the user settings shown in the docs to add or remove people. I've spent over an hour on this so I would really appreciate some help.

4 answers

1 vote
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 29, 2020

You should be able to go to admin> user management, locate the old user and deactivate their account. 

Sabeer Narula December 29, 2020

I do not see user management nor admin settings - I have checked everywhere several times. I even watched videos and it is not in the place that they show in the videos.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 29, 2020

In the upper right is a cog/gear icon. If you cannot access then you don’t have the necessary site admin access. Is there someone else that does?

0 votes
Roman Milushov October 31, 2023

Hello, we have weird issues with admin settings

I have Administrator role but I still see the message @"You do not have access to Jira settings or Atlassian admin, contact your Jira admin to grant you access."

image.png

Also board's owner does not have access to even remove users! What's wrong with Jira?

Screenshot 2023-10-31 at 11.53.51 PM.png

We have free account on the https://go-c.atlassian.net/

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 31, 2023

Hi @Roman Milushov , there are different levels of administration. If you click on the cog icon in the upper right do you see User management?

Roman Milushov October 31, 2023

@Jack Brickey I attached the picture (first one) with what I see when I click on the cog icon in the upper right

Btw, second picture is what the board's owner sees (not me)

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 1, 2023

As I suspected, you do not have the necessary permissions. Please contact your Jira admin.

Roman Milushov November 2, 2023

@Jack Brickey are you kidding? Second picture is what the board's owner (Jira admin) sees and he can not change anything, that's the problem that I'm talking about

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 2, 2023

Hi @Roman Milushov , my apologies if my response was unexpected/unwanted. I was trying to respond to your first image. In order to remove or deactivate user accounts you should see something like the following when you click on the cog.

2023-11-02_11-42-43.jpg

The above screenshot is from my free account that I set up. You indicated that you were the one that set up your free instance so I am quite as to why you would not see what I am seeing. The second image you presented earlier is specific to a given project specifically a team managed project. However from your original it seemed that you wanted to remove or deactivate a user altogether which would not be done at the project level but rather the system level as illustrated in my image above.

One other thing that puzzles me a bit is that my understanding has been that for any free account all users are defaulted to the Jira administration level. Maybe my understanding is a bit dated. If possible could you check with any other members to see what they observe when they click on the cog?

Also, for what it's worth, here is an article on Jira permissions - how-do-jira-permissions-work 

Roman Milushov November 5, 2023

Thank you, @Jack Brickey, for the detailed answer! ❤️ But the messages are getting more confusing and harder to explain the issue. Could we have a Google Meet call for 3 minutes? After that, I'll report here how to solve the issue for future people who find this page by searching.

Roman Milushov November 5, 2023

@Jack BrickeyI'm sorry, my colleague solved the issue; he just got confused with the UI

shoshy
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
November 9, 2023

hi @Roman Milushov , can you please share how you solved the problem? we're facing the same one.
thanks

0 votes
Monika Rani
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 30, 2020

Hi @Sabeer Narula ,

can you see this gear icon in the top right corner?

created-vs-resolved.png

If you can not see the 'user management' option it means you do not have admin permissions..

As @Daniel Ebers suggested Please try navigating to http://admin.atlassian.com and check what will you see there.

Regards,

Monika

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 30, 2020

yes that is the icon I referred to earlier.

0 votes
Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 30, 2020

Hi @Sabeer Narula

it sounds that you are lacking administrator permissions to do the desired maintenance.

Please try navigating to http://admin.atlassian.com and report back what the result is.
From your description you should be enabled access there so you can manage your users as you wish. If you are getting an "access denied" error back you definitely lost (somehow?) administrator privileges.

Please also refer to the documentation for a better understanding of the several permissions used in Cloud:
https://confluence.atlassian.com/cloud/give-users-admin-permissions-964957877.html

Regards,
Daniel

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events