I am trying to limit a consultant to a single project(On-Demand)

Bruce Kearney April 25, 2014

I have a consultant that I want to have access to one project. In that project, I want them to be able to create issues, have issues assigned to them, assign users, comments.

I have tried to follow the steps that others have outlined in the answers forms, but I cannot gain access to the project untill I make them part of the jira-users. Creating an Issues Permission Schemes

We have a basic setup, where everyone who accesses Jira is in that group, because of the application access, this seems to be the out of the box configuration and that application check box for Jira being selected, my user is asked to log in and cannot see the project..

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 25, 2014

Mmm, I think you've missed quite a few answers. There are quite a lot, I struggle to find stuff too.

The bit you are missing is probably that you have to unpick the defaults before this will work.

By default, Jira has a group called jira-users, which it uses to say "can log in". That's fine, but the default settings are also to include this group in all the roles of "user", which grant "browse" (amongst others) on almost all the projects.

You need to remove this - hack out ALL the places where jira-users is used except the ones where you really absolutely do want them: global permissions of log-in, and possibly browse users and bulk edit, and then *maybe* if you have a "jira support" project that everyone should see, that too.

As you remove jira-users from each project role, you'll need to let your users back in via another route.

Once you've done that, you'll be able to put your consultant into Jira users without letting him into anything else, then you can add him to the one project you want.

Suggest an answer