I am not able to pull epics in my defect dashboard when using Nexgen projects

Amandeep Kaur November 25, 2020

Hello Team,
I am stuck to resolve this, and longing for having a resolution for this problem.
For every defect I have created, I have added Apics to those defects, when pulling a dashboard via filters in jira, the Epics are not pulled up in Report.
It looks like a cumbersome task and doubling of effort when I am now adding labels with same name as Epic to every defect to enable them to show in dashboard.

Is there any effective way to pull EPICS in dashboard?

The first screenshot shows None under EPIC link, but the two dimensional gadget choses epic as on the input for x-axis and other as priority in y-axis.
Though all the defects are linked with their respective EPICS, NEX-GEN project does not allow me to pull it in its dashboard.
I was able to do it smoothly in Classic Projects.
Screen Shot 2020-11-25 at 11.30.52 AM.pngScreen Shot 2020-11-25 at 11.30.11 AM.png

1 answer

0 votes
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 25, 2020

Hi @Amandeep Kaur  -- Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Unlike all of the prior history of Jira, NextGen uses a new method to link "epics" to children.  I believe that you want to use the Parent field to see that information.

Update: Sorry as I just noticed that the Parent field is not available for that gadget on dashboards.  Here is the defect/suggestion to make that available:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-73788

Best regards,

Bill

Amandeep Kaur November 25, 2020

awesome, Thank you very much @William Sheboy . This was really helpful to know.

I was longing for it ,since couple weeks and ran with other alternatives, but I know those wont last long until this gets resolved with NexGen.

How about if I use Label field to map manually all the Epics to the defects, I know it'll take lot of manual effort to map every defect to the EPIC, and when I would like to have a separate report of defects per Epic and Defects Per component under each EPIc,It will be a mess.
Waiting eagerly for NEX-gen next release to resolve this issue

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 25, 2020

Hi!  Your work-around could work...  After you try one or two to confirm it works...

To save you some manual-edit effort, please consider looking at the automation rules.  They help automate things like copying information to the fields which you are able to report upon with that gadget.

Here are a couple of links to the documentation and some examples to get you started:

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/automate-your-jira-cloud-processes-and-workflows/

https://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/automation-template-library#/label/all/1453

Of note... there is currently an active outage/incident related to automation rules, so you may want to wait a few hours (days?) to try it.

Best regards,

Bill

Like Amandeep Kaur likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events