I am looking for a way to export a single project from one hosted JIRA and import it into another

Karl Hannemann December 10, 2020

In this case, both JIRAs contain multiple projects and different users.  Some of the users are shared, but not most.

The current project uses notes and lots of links, internal and external.  What would be great is if there is a process which would act similar to a backup, where we could backup the one JIRA, place this JIRA in read only, then restore to the 2nd JIRA.  I have not found any post which says this is an option. So the first question will be "Is this an option"?

I did find a link to a tool which is not yet available: https://www.botronsoft.com/configuration-manager-for-jira-cloud/ but this will not solve the current problem.

Even if there are many steps, if it is possible to export / import a project as listed above, I would like to read through them.

Thank you

3 answers

0 votes
Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 12, 2020

Hi Karl,

some good information were already given and this gives a good insight what is the status quo, what is possible and what is to come.

Apart from that only the official documentation comes to my mind - this, indeed, has its own limitations and specialities.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/confeval/other-atlassian-evaluator-resources/migrating-from-one-cloud-instance-to-another-cloud-instance

and

https://confluence.atlassian.com/confeval/jira-software-evaluator-resources/jira-software-importing-a-project-from-one-cloud-instance-to-another

Cheers,
Daniel

Karl Hannemann December 14, 2020

Hi Daniel -

Thank you for the reply. Unfortunately both the links above confirm there is no good way to transfer a single project.  Several issues we have encountered include:
- Reporter / Creator and Assignee not importing 
- No linked issues, and no exportable categories (though you can export them using google sheets JIRA plug in, you cannot import them)
- Watchers not importing
- Comments will not import with the original author (import process uses the Admin ID of the person running the import)
- Overall problem with the system renaming the JIRAs - since we are dropping them in as a project instead of a new JIRA.  We have been using bulk update to address many of the issues.

Hopefully the new tool will resolve these challenges!

We will keep plugging away with bulk/manual updates.
Have a good day.
Thank you
Karl

0 votes
Teodora _Old Street Solutions_Tempo_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 11, 2020

Hi @Karl Hannemann,

the team behind Configuration Manager for Jira is already working on the Cloud version. Hopefully, we'll have exciting news in 2021.

Stay tuned, we'll be releasing more information during the process.

Karl Hannemann December 11, 2020

Yes - I saw that website.  Our timeline is a bit shorter than next year.  Is anyone aware of another option or process?

0 votes
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 10, 2020

Are you trying to migrate just the issues or all the project configuration information?

Karl Hannemann December 10, 2020

Ideally we would like everything, the issues, attachments, project config,

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events