I am a Jira Admin with Jira Cloud and cannot delete tasks

Alison Wisdom April 21, 2021

I am a brand new user. I have subscribed to Jira Software with a standard plan. I am the only Admin. I created a New Board and added some test tasks. When I try to delete a task, I get a dialog explaining that I don't have permission for this.

How can I give myself this permission?

1 answer

1 vote
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 21, 2021

Hello @Alison Wisdom 

Welcome to the community.

Did you create a Team Managed or a Company Managed project?

For Company Managed projects, the project is assigned a Permission Scheme. The Permission Scheme details who has what types of permissions in a project, including the permission to delete issues. You can find the details of the Permission Scheme assigned to your project by navigating to Project Settings > Permissions. Look for the Delete Issue permission and review to whom that Permission is granted. If you are not a member of the Roles (or User Groups) granted that permission in that project, then the permission scheme will have to be modified to grant you that permission.

Generally, though, it is inadvisable to delete issues. Once they are deleted, they are irrevocably gone. There is no "undo delete" option. It is better to instead transition such issues to a "done" status. If desirable, you can use the Resolution values or create an additional "done" type of status to indicate that the issue is considered discarded/deleted.

Suggest an answer