Hyperlink in properties file

Felix July 9, 2018

Hey folks, 

Here is the situation: We are using JIRA and Confluence, some users are only having access to Confluence but are managed in JIRA.

I would like to include a link to our Confluence instance in the message that is shown when the user does not have permission to login to JIRA. 

To archive this I modified the JiraWebActionSupport.properties files, both for the default language and all other languages. Additionally I modified the i18n properties file responsible for the login gadget (at least for the german language pack). 

My problem is, that when I call the login gadget directly (myinstance.com/login.jsp) the link is properly displayed, including other HTML markup. But when I use the login gadget on the start page, all the HTML is just rendered as text. 

What do I need to do, to include a link to another website in the login gadget when the login for a user fails? 

1 answer

0 votes
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 10, 2018

What about disabling the login gadget on the dashboard instead?   It does not directly address your request to customize the text there, but if you remove it by following the steps in the KB https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/howto-hide-the-login-gadget-from-the-system-dashboard-in-jira-5-1-305037906.html

In my Jira 7 version, I only had to follow these steps:

Creating or Editing jira-config.properties
  1. Navigate to <jira-home>
  2. Check for the presence of a jira-config.properties file
    1. If it exists, back it up now.
    2. If not, create a new, blank text file with that name.
  3. Add this line to the end of the file:

jira.disable.login.gadget=true
  4. Save the file
  5. Restart JIRA to commit changes

This would remove the login gadget from that dashboard for all users.  

The only problem I see with this is in regards to your other users that are used to logging in this way might be inconvenienced to have to click the Log In button in the top right corner of the screen in order to proceed to login to Jira.   So it is another click for your users to follow, but I think this might be a viable option for you to consider in this case.

Suggest an answer