How to visualize vacations in Advanced Roadmaps?

Diana Melkumyan March 24, 2022

I love planning ahead with advanced roadmaps. But I have an issue to account for resourcing. I know that I can adjust the velocity expected in the sprint from the roadmaps, but what's I'm looking for is a visualization of when certain key members aren't available, so that I make sure that all the dependencies are tackled in time and that I'm not planning initiatives where these people are subject matter experts for the periods where they are on a vacation.

The way I was doing this in Wrike was creating a separate flow and adding these unavailabilities as a gantt chart. Is there a better way to do this on Advanced Roadmaps other than creating an initiative and epic for every PTO and Major event?

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Ste Wright
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 25, 2022

Hi @Diana Melkumyan 

I don't think it's possible at this point.

It used to be in previous versions, but I know it's now a feature request for the more recent versions - see JSWCLOUD-19384 (and its related requests).

Ste

Diana Melkumyan
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
March 28, 2022

Thank you. Added a vote and a comment. Hope it gets picked up.

Like Ste Wright likes this
2 votes
Rick Olson April 6, 2022

This might be something to think about; it's what we do:

We, too, have team capacities loaded into AR and they assume that everyone is working their full, estimated, availability. Then, for example, to deal with someone being on vacation we have an epic where each person places a task for each period of time off. That includes the number of hours they won't be available and the "due date" (when the vacation ends). We include that epic (including those tasks) in AR so that we can use it as a "work" placeholder. We do something similar for new people coming on board, holidays, etc.

0 votes
Oliver Terhaar July 13, 2023

I stumbled upon a nicer way of considering holidays or vacations. Instead of creating dummy tasks that I first tried, you can also reduce the amount of capacity available for each single sprint (even for different teams).

To use that feature you have to provide an Issue Source for each Team created, something I didn't do at first. After you configured an Issue Source you are able to set the capacity for each sprint for each team in the timeline.

I think that's a nice solution than creating dummy tasks. Hope this helps someone out their as well :)

Rick Olson July 13, 2023

Yes, it is a better solution for us. We, too, were creating dummy tasks before Atlassian provided the ability to modify velocity by sprint in Advanced Roadmaps.

Suggest an answer