How to use the value from the Cascading field to trigger a action in a automation Rule?

Hemanshu Shah May 24, 2023

I want to create a automation rule that should  assign an issue to a particular user based on the value from the child cascading field.

e.g 

Name of the Cascading List: Affected Service

Parent Values are: LIST 1 and LIST2 
Child values for LIST 1 : A,B,C 
Child values for LIST 2: E,F,G

IF LIST1 is selected and either A or B is selected for Child Value , then issue should be assigned to Reporter 1. IF C is selected then issue should be assigned to Reporter.

I am not able to find the created cascading field in the "Field" in "Field issue Condition" block used in automation rule.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 24, 2023

Hi Hemanshu, 

What kind of project is this? Team-managed? Company-managed? 

Hi John,
It's a Company-managed Project.

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 24, 2023

The custom field should show up then. What actually triggers the the automation rule? When the issue is created? When the field is updated? 

And you are trying to add a condition and the field doesn't show up? Have you tried doing an advanced condition? Use the smart value for the field: {{issue.Custom Field.value}} of {{issue.Custom Field.child.value}} where Custom Field is the EXACT name of your custom field. 

1. When the Issue is created. This triggers the automation rule
2. Exactly, I am trying to add a condition and the field doesn't show up in the dropdown.
3. I tried reading how an advanced condition should be used but the I am finding it difficult to understand instructions in the article. Also I am finding it difficult to understand how to use a smart value.Screenshot 2023-05-24 at 17.48.53.png

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 24, 2023

Choose the Advanced Compare Condition instead of the Issue Fields Condition. 

Screenshot.png

Like Hemanshu Shah likes this

Thanks a lot John. It works.

How do I enter multiple values in Advance Compare condition? i.e A, B 

Do I need to add a Advance compare condition for each value?

@John Funk I figured it out. Just changed the condition to "Contains Regular Expression" and used A|B in the Regular expression field

Like John Funk likes this
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 24, 2023

Great! Glad you got it working.

Hi @John Funk ,
I tried to extend the automation flow by adding another Advance Compare condition in series to create a AND condition between the Parent value and the Child value. However, the Automation flow is not working.

I checked the Audit logs. There is no error. However, it shows the Automation ran successfully and No action was performed.Screenshot 2023-05-24 at 21.04.59.png

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 24, 2023

Can you share the audit log? Because that will tell us if the Conditions actually passed or not.

Hemanshu Shah May 25, 2023

Sure. Here you go....Screenshot 2023-05-25 at 09.31.47.png

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 25, 2023

Can you do the Show more to show the details of the instance where you ran it and it did not work for you? I see no actions performed on several of the latest ones which tells me one or more of the conditions were not met. 

Hemanshu Shah May 25, 2023

Sure.Screenshot 2023-05-25 at 17.46.36.png

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 25, 2023

Okay, that's your problem then - it is not passing the first condition. You either have a syntax problem or there are no values that match. 

Can you share the details of the advanced condition? 

Hemanshu Shah May 26, 2023

Sure. Here are the screenshots for Parent values and Child values (For Parent Value = LIST 1)

Further, you can also find the screenshots for the Advance compare condition for Parent and child valueScreenshot 2023-05-26 at 10.56.26.pngScreenshot 2023-05-26 at 10.56.48.pngScreenshot 2023-05-26 at 10.57.34.pngScreenshot 2023-05-26 at 10.57.46.png

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 26, 2023

Try using equals or contains instead of "contains regular expression".

Then run again and post what the result is in the audit log.

I tries using "equals" or "contains". Still the same result. Here are the Audit logsScreenshot 2023-05-26 at 13.20.24.pngScreenshot 2023-05-26 at 13.27.00.pngScreenshot 2023-05-26 at 13.25.08.png 

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 26, 2023

Hmmm, try just the one I posted further up for the Child value and see what it gives you. (You can just move the parent one below the child condition for now if you like - no need to delete it - just curious if that one passes). 

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 26, 2023

Also, try taking the word parent out of the first condition (but leave child in the second one).

Hi John,
Thanks. I tried some combinations from your suggestion. This worked for me.

Rearranging Child above parent and using "contains regular expression" in both parent and child conditions.

Screenshot 2023-05-26 at 14.33.46.png

A big thanks!!

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 26, 2023

Great! Glad it is working. But I think the key is that you took out the word parent from the one. I would still move that one above the child one - it should still work that way. 

Suggest an answer