How to use teams?

Ludvig Hede June 14, 2022

Im working with a jira premium solution and there are more and more questions regarding teams

* In the solution today I can create teams via (top menu) People --> + start a team.

* I Can also start a shared teams via (top menu) Plans --> view shared teams.

Is there any relation between these two ways of creating teams in Jira? And if not is there a way to remove/hide the way not recommended?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 14, 2022

Hi @Ludvig Hede,

No, they are not related. The shared teams under plans are a feature of advanced roadmaps. They represent the resources component in the iron triangle of planning (scope - resources - time) and are used specifically for capacity planning in that tool at a team level.

The team under people is a more generic concept that spans all your work across Atlassian tools (which includes e.g. Confluence as well). You cannot assign that team to anything in Jira, but on overview screens like My work, it helps you see what people in that team have been working on across the board (again: not a Jira board, but all the different Atlassian tools). A first tangible example of how this team concept may gain importance over time is the brand new product Atlas, that Atlassian calls its team directory. Having a good look at that may show you where this might be going in the future ...

Hope this helps! 

Ludvig Hede June 15, 2022

Hi @Walter Buggenhout 
That's what I suspected... I had hoped that I had missed something. Thanks for the clarification. It's a bit confusing to have two features, not related to each other, with the same name. 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events