• Give kudos
  • Received
  • Given

Leaderboard

• Global

Trophy case

Kudos (beta program)

Kudos logo

You've been invited into the Kudos (beta program) private group. Chat with others in the program, or give feedback to Atlassian.

View group

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

How to use boards, components, and Epics within the same project (Kanban) Edited

Hi,

I am setting up a new project that has multiple teams, and multiple topics that can be divided into smaller topics (components).

1- How to use Epics, and components efficiently? What is the difference?
2- In 1 team I need a different workflow that requires more steps. For example: In progress, QA1, QA2, Then Done. How to create a new empty board within the project with these columns? without affecting the other board that has 3 columns only (In progress, QA, Done)?

Thanks

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted

Hi @Nisreen Hassoun

1. Epics and component are both used for categorization. Epics are linked to all the issues under them, but components is only a field on the issues, so this is a pretty big difference (issue/field). You can filter by epics while you are in the backlog of your boards (so it can be useful for teams) to do grooming.
  2. You can simply create a new board in "Boards>View all boards>Create board (upper right corner)" and then select the option : "Board from existing project". This will create the board, and you will be able to switch between boards in your project 

Hope this helps, let me know if you need any clarification!

JT

Thanks @Jean-Théo _Adaptavist_ 

My question regarding creating a new board is:

I Created a new board within the same project. It is already filled with the issues from the old board. Can I have a new empty board within the same project?

Or this means that I have to create a new project with a new backlog?

best,

You don't have to create a new project. Each board has its own filter you define to customize what issues are included on it.

Re: components and epics, I think this will be a really good read for you.

Like Jean-Théo _Adaptavist_ likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Jira Software

How to create Jira issus from Excel file?

When to use CSV importer When managing your processes in Jira, there are many occasions where you need to create a lot of tasks. Creating them one by one will cost you a lot of time and effort and i...

4,664 views 22 33
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you