How to use boards, components, and Epics within the same project (Kanban)

Nisreen Hassoun March 11, 2019

Hi,

I am setting up a new project that has multiple teams, and multiple topics that can be divided into smaller topics (components).

1- How to use Epics, and components efficiently? What is the difference?
2- In 1 team I need a different workflow that requires more steps. For example: In progress, QA1, QA2, Then Done. How to create a new empty board within the project with these columns? without affecting the other board that has 3 columns only (In progress, QA, Done)?

Thanks

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jean-Théo [Adaptavist]
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 11, 2019

Hi @Nisreen Hassoun

1. Epics and component are both used for categorization. Epics are linked to all the issues under them, but components is only a field on the issues, so this is a pretty big difference (issue/field). You can filter by epics while you are in the backlog of your boards (so it can be useful for teams) to do grooming.
  2. You can simply create a new board in "Boards>View all boards>Create board (upper right corner)" and then select the option : "Board from existing project". This will create the board, and you will be able to switch between boards in your project 

Hope this helps, let me know if you need any clarification!

JT

Nisreen Hassoun March 12, 2019

Thanks @Jean-Théo [Adaptavist] 

My question regarding creating a new board is:

I Created a new board within the same project. It is already filled with the issues from the old board. Can I have a new empty board within the same project?

Or this means that I have to create a new project with a new backlog?

best,

Tim Black September 25, 2019

You don't have to create a new project. Each board has its own filter you define to customize what issues are included on it.

Re: components and epics, I think this will be a really good read for you.

Like Jean-Théo [Adaptavist] likes this
Sneha Jaiswal September 20, 2022

Hey @Tim Black 

Can you please explain a bit about how can I do that with steps? 

I have created 3 boards in one project, these are 3 different teams and issues have to be separate in each one, but it is showing all the issues in all three boards. How can I restrict issues to be restricted in one particular board?

Suggest an answer