How to use a post function to auto assign a ticket to the first responder to the ticket?

Josh Plouffe September 20, 2017
  • The first person who adds a comment to a ticket or updates it becomes the assignee of that ticket
  • Any subsequent people are not assigned to the ticket just because they've touched it
  • Never assign the ticket to a particular user.

1 answer

1 vote
Alex Christensen
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 20, 2017

Post-functions are only applied on transitions, which changes the status of an issue. Leaving a comment is a separate type of action/event in Jira, and post-functions are never fired when leaving a comment.

If you don't want to use an add-on, I would just instruct who ever the first responder is to click the "Assign to Me" link near the Assignee field.

If you're open to using add-ons and if you want the first commenter to be assigned to the issue - the only way I know to do this is using Script Runner for Jira Server and create a scripted listener for the "Issue Commented" event (I think Script Runner for Cloud can do the same thing). If the issue's Assignee field is set to Unassigned, then assign to the current user (because that's who just made the comment).

Re: "Never assign the ticket to a particular user" - I'm not sure what you mean by this. Are you saying you don't want to be able to edit the assignee field after it's set for the first time? That removes a lot of flexibility from being able to change the assignee for any reason (someone's on vacation, leaves the company, etc.), and I wouldn't recommend it.

Josh Plouffe September 24, 2017

Thanks for your help Alex.

"Never assign the ticket to a particular user" 

What I mean is, say the CEO is the first person to comment. I want to create a rule that says not to ever assign a ticket to them.

Alex Christensen
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 25, 2017

There are a couple of options here, I think:

1. If you never want to be able to assign a ticket to the CEO ever, you could just make sure that the CEO doesn't have the "Assignable User" permission for that project(s). As long as he or she has the "Browse Users" and "Comment on issues" permissions, the CEO can still see and comment on issues. I think Script Runner's listener will take the project permissions into account, but I would test this to be sure.
  2. As part of the Script Runner listener, you could include some if statement saying "if the current user is the CEO, don't do this" or something like that.

Suggest an answer