How to use Scrum Board with other Issue Type Schemes

Lasse Kaiser June 26, 2012

Hi Atlassian Answers,

I'm all for transforming our organization to use the Rapid Board and the new Scrum Board in favor of the Classic Boards everybody here is using today.

However, I have not had much success finding out how to use the Scrum Board with other issue type schemes than the (default) GreenHopper Issue Type Scheme. Yes, I know how to reconfigure it for other issue types, but we have a very real need for different issue type schemes to work with different Scrum Boards (we are not a one-size-fits-all company).

Can anybody show me how to do that? Specifically, I'm searching for a way to link an issue type scheme to e.g. a project template or similar - GreenHopper appears to be very one-dimensional in this respect.

Your help is much appreciated - thanks.

Best regards,

Lasse Kaiser

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
sclowes
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 27, 2012

Hi Lasse,

I'm not 100% sure of the details of your question. You can create as many Rapid Boards as you like. I'd suggest creating one 'template' Rapid Board for each issue type scheme then copying those templates to create more specific boards for individual teams/groups.

Thanks,
Shaun

Lasse Kaiser June 27, 2012

Hi Shaun,

Well, the the problem is with Scrum Board, not the Rapid Board (we already have quite a few of these).

What I noticed is that issues don't appear in our Scrum Board if they are not members of the GreenHopper Issue Type Scheme.

Please consider the following scenario for two teams wishing to use the new Scrum Board:

Team A uses project A with issue types A1, A2 and AB3

Team B uses project B with issue types B1, B2 and AB3

When Team A creates an issue, they should not be exposed to the confusing possibility of using issue types B1 and B2 (and vice versa), hence the need for two different issue type schemes, both of which should be functional in the new Scrum Board.

Can this be realized with the current functionality?

Your reply is most appreciated :-).

Thanks

/Lasse

PS: I forgot to mention that Team A and Team B wish to use different Scrum Boards, not the one and same...

sclowes
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 1, 2012

Hi Lasse,

I'm not 100% sure what you're referring to. The Rapid Board with the Scrum preset or one of the Planning/Task/Chart/Released Boards? There's not really a 'Scrum Board' in GreenHopper.

It sounds like you want to restrict what is shown when they create a new issue? If you're in the Planning/Task/Chart/Released boards the user is shown the Create Card action but on the Rapid Board they are shown the normal JIRA Create Issue. I don't think you can restrict which issue types they can see in either case (but once they select the right project JIRA will only let them select a valid issue type).

Thanks,
Shaun

Lasse Kaiser July 1, 2012

Hi Shaun,

I am using the Rapid Board with the Scrum preset (called "Scrum" inside the Create Rapid Board screen). I assumed this was called the "Scrum Board", but I was apparently mistaken. Sorry about that.

While experimenting with your suggestions, it turned out that my problem was something I had not anticipated: I had not realized that I needed to configure the columns for my issue types (just as with the Kanban Rapid Board and the Task Board), that explains everything.

Now I have - and it works.

This is how I did it:

Thanks

/Lasse

Suggest an answer