How to use Automation to set Epic's start & end date equal to start & end date of a fixVersion?

Michael Lichtenstein October 2, 2020

I want to create a rule that will update an Epic's start / end date to the start / end date of the fixVersion.  How can this be accomplished?

1 answer

3 votes
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 5, 2020

Hello @Michael Lichtenstein

Thank you for reaching out.

Per your description, I understand that your Epics are added with two custom fields (Start and end date) which you would like to be automatically filled with the fix version start and end date respectively when a fix version is added to the Epics. Is that correct?

The values from the start date and release date of a fix version can be collected by the following smart values:

{{issue.fixVersions.startDate.jiraDateTime}}
{{issue.fixVersions.releaseDate.jiraDateTime}}

P.S: To ensure the smart values above are going to work, confirm that the current custom fields of your Epic (Start and End Dates) are date & time picker, not only a date picker.

This would be the automation rule:

Screen Shot 2020-10-05 at 17.43.25.png

For more details on how to change the format of the dates provided by the smart values above, you can check the documentation below:

Smart values - date and time functions 

Let us know if you have any questions. 

Christel Gray February 12, 2021

Hi, 

This is great, but I am having one issue. The populated dates are off by one (one date earlier than what is in the release panel). What could this be from?

Michael Lichtenstein February 15, 2021

Could it be a result of timezone settings?

Christel Gray February 15, 2021

Hi Michael,

I checked and the system is set in our time zone.

Additionally, is there a way to do this without the time? I've tried other smart values, but have had no luck.

Thank you!

Rory Standley May 6, 2021

Legend, this is exactly what I was looking for.

Christel Gray June 9, 2021

I was able to use:

{{issue.fixVersions.startDate.jiraDate}}
{{issue.fixVersions.releaseDate.jiraDate}}

To get just the date added to a date picker field. This also fixed the date difference I was experiencing.

Thanks!

vpriya August 25, 2021

This isn't really working for me. any suggestions please?

I am trying to trigger automation when the fixversion custom field value is changed or assigned. then changing start date of the issue to below value.

{{issue.fixVersions.startDate.jiraDate}}

(My custom field) Fix versions - Value = 5.2

Releases as below 

UNRELEASED
Aug 23, 2021
Oct 08, 2021

UNRELEASED
Jun 21, 2021
Aug 27, 2021

vpriya August 25, 2021

I realize the date value is coming from the smartvalue however start date is not getting updated

ex: 2021-08-23

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events