How to upgrade from very old Jira version?

James Shablow June 25, 2018

The company I work for has a lot of data on JIRA, and is using version 4.0.2. I have tried following these steps to upgrade to 4.4.5 (I am attempting gradual upgrades), but the steps do not match the architecture that is used in the version that I am using. (i.e. there is no dbconfig.xml file or jdbc driver jar file to be found in the home or installation directories). I tried skipping steps that weren't applicable, but the resulting installation did not run.

Additionally, I tried copying files from the existing install, not overwriting anything, to the new install, and was presented with, "The requested resource () is not available" when going to localhost:8080.

We renewed our license earlier this year, but are finally now trying to upgrade. I am experimenting on a different computer with a trial license.

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Matt Doar
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 25, 2018

That's a lot of work. Have you considered having an Atlassian Partner do it for you?

James Shablow June 25, 2018

We have not considered that yet. We also weren't anticipating it being too difficult, but this may not be the case.

Matt Doar
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 25, 2018

4.x was released around 2009, so it's changed a lot. I would expect something like 4.0 to 4.3 to 5.0 to 6.5 to 7.0 to 7.latest. Maybe you can skip the 5.0. Lots of time.

Manon Soubies-Camy _Modus Create_
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 26, 2018

Indeed, this page recommends the following upgrade path:

jira-upgrade-path.PNGYou'll also need to check the latest sizing guide and supported platforms.

Hope this helps!

- Manon

Like # people like this
Matt Doar
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 26, 2018

That's a useful page with the list of versions. 

James Shablow June 26, 2018

Thank you Manon! That is very helpful. 

Manon Soubies-Camy _Modus Create_
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 27, 2018

Glad it helped! This page is well hidden but very useful :)

James Shablow July 9, 2018

Hello Manon, I have successfully upgraded to 6.4.40 today after upgrading to 4.4.5. 4.4.5 worked great, but 6.4 will not let me complete any issues. When I click on "Complete", the loading icon pops up, and nothing happens after that. 

James Shablow July 20, 2018

Thank you all for the help! I have successfully manually upgraded JIRA to the latest version, and solved the issue with completing issues. The resolution for completing issues was resolved in this thread.

Take care,
James

James Shablow June 26, 2018

I have tried that but it fails, since the version is too old. I must upgrade the installation manually. Thank you though.

Suggest an answer