Come for the products,
stay for the community

The Atlassian Community can help you and your team get more value out of Atlassian products and practices.

Atlassian Community about banner
Community Members

Community Events
Community Groups

How to update worklog to be difference between original and remaining time

Edited

I'm using an app to update the time tracking field from excel but unfortunately it can only update original estimate and remaining time, and not log time worked.

As a workaround, I would like to make an automation that fires up whenever time tracking is updated, and updates work time logged to be the difference between original estimate and remaining time.

I've tried the following but it fails. How can I fix it so that time already spent is updated as the difference between original estimate and remaining time?

Screen Shot 2022-06-21 at 11.50.26 am.png

Additional fields:

{
"update": {
"worklog" : [
{
"set": {
"timeSpent" : {{issue.timetracking.originalEstimate.diff(issue.timetracking.remainingEstimate).hours}}
}
}
]
}
}

Error that I get:

Screen Shot 2022-06-21 at 12.01.49 pm.png

Extension I am using to update time tracking column: Excel 365 connector for JIRA  

1 answer

0 votes
James Navin Atlassian Team Jun 27, 2022

Hi @Gordon McDonald ,

My guess is that the smart value expression you are using is not evaluating to a number and so the resulting JSON is not valid (as detailed in the error you are seeing).

I would suggest you start by debugging the smart value expression to ensure it is doing what you think it's doing. There are some options described in https://support.atlassian.com/cloud-automation/docs/debug-an-automation-rule/ for how to debug a rule.

Once you have ensured the smart value expression is working as you expect then you should be able to update your rule.

Something like the following would be a good starting place:

Screen Shot 2022-06-28 at 11.30.18 am.png

Cheers,

James

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Jira Software

Upcoming changes to epic fields in company-managed projects

👋 Hi there Jira Community! A few months ago we shared with you plans around renaming epics in your company-managed projects. As part of these changes, we highlighted upcoming changes to epics on...

14,877 views 37 49
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you