How to update user's "name"

Adam Asper September 23, 2019

In the API, the name field has a capital letter however the key is all lowercase. I just need to be able to update that to be all lowercase. The front-end has no options to change this. The user was created by "invite" using Gsuite.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Dario B
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 26, 2019

Hi @Adam Asper ,

Can you kindly provide more details on what the issue is and what you are trying to achieve since I am not sure I have a correct understanding of it?

Are you trying to modify the display name of a user or anything else? 

Are you using Managed Accounts or Google Integration

Please provide as many details as possible.

Cheers,
Dario

Adam Asper September 30, 2019

According the the api, my "key" and "name" are aasper. For another user, their "key" is jsmith and their name is "jSmith". We were both added via gsuite, capitalization aren't different in gsuite either. Mine being aasper@domain and theirs being jsmith@domain

Adam Asper September 30, 2019

They api endpoint is /rest/api/3/user, that's where I'm gathering my key and name

Dario B
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 2, 2019

Hi @Adam Asper ,

May I ask why you want to change the "name" property returned by the rest/api/3/user endpoint

This property is not used anymore and, as written in the Deprecation notice and migration guide for major changes to Jira Cloud REST APIs to improve user privacy page, name and key properties are being removed from the User object and you should use the accountId instead.

This is also mentioned in the Major changes to Jira Cloud REST APIs are coming to improve user privacy:

Attribute Status
self Changed to reference Atlassian account API URL.
name Removed following the deprecation period.
key Will be changed to return the same value as accountId for new users without notice and then removed following the deprecation period.
accountId   Will always be returned. Primary identifier for users.

Please let us know what you are trying to achieve since there may be other ways to do so.

Also, for further details about user name and user key removal please review the below 2 pages:

Cheers,
Dario

Adam Asper October 2, 2019

Thanks Dario, I was unaware of the planned deprecation! I'm good then!

Like Dario B likes this
Dario B
Atlassian Team
October 3, 2019

You are very welcome @Adam Asper ! Happy to know this was helpful :) 

Suggest an answer