Recognition

• Give kudos
  • My kudos

Leaderboard

• Global

Trophy case

Kudos (beta program)

Kudos logo

You've been invited into the Kudos (beta program) private group. Chat with others in the program, or give feedback to Atlassian.

View group

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

How to update the Summary field by appending text using automation on jira cloud

I am trying to write an automation whereby the Summary field gets updated upon the change of another field.  I have it working except the part of what I save back into the summary field

So for example, if Summary started out as "this is my title"  I want to amend it by appending some text at the end so it is now "this is my title now"

So how do I code the update to be {SUMMARY} + " now"  ?

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted

Hi Katherine,

I've tested here the Automation Lite for Jira Cloud and I was able to update the summary field to append more text.
I created the automation for when an issue is created to update the summary:

Screenshot 2018-11-09_12-28-18.png

To append more text, you must use {{issue.summary}} that will keep the current summary and then add the text you need.

I used the Automation Lite that is a free app, but it only runs 300 automation per month, but they have another version where is not limited: Automation for Jira

Hope this helps!

Regards,
Angélica

What about if the summary of the parent subsequently is changed. How can I make it so that them subtasks automatically recognizes the change and reupdates the Summarys of the Subtask?

Hi Justin,

I tested here but didn't find a way to update the subtasks with the summary of the parent issue. There are some options that should match, but it didn't change anything on the ticket.
As they have a free version, you can create automation to test and check if it will match with your use case.
Please, check their documentation that shows the available values to update.
- https://docs.automationforjira.com/working-with-issue-dataavailable-values.html#available-smart-values

Regards,
Angélica

Hi Angélica,

I was able to figure this out by making the trigger to recognize when the Summary field changes its value, change the subtasks to be: {{triggerissue.summary}} | "custom text".

Works beautifully. Thanks!

Like # people like this

I know this is a little old but Im trying to do this as well. However, my company will not allow to install any 3rd party Jira cloud apps. Can this be done with the built in Jira automation? 

Hi @Victor Sanchez  you could argue that it is not a 3rd party as the developing company is also an Atlassian company and the app is supported.  You will need the app to perform automations

Capture.PNG

Hello @Victor Sanchez,

Welcome to Community!

The option to append some text with the original summary is not available on the built-in automation on Service Desk, that's why it's necessary to use the add-on.

As Katherine mentioned, Atlassian owns Code Barrel now (it was not an Atlassian company when it was answered last year), but it just means that we will give support to the add-on, previously for any issue, Code Barrel should be contacted, that's the difference.

Regards,
Angélica

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Jira Software

How to create Jira issus from Excel file?

When to use CSV importer When managing your processes in Jira, there are many occasions where you need to create a lot of tasks. Creating them one by one will cost you a lot of time and effort and i...

4,544 views 22 32
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you