How to update a field on a linked issue to same values

Sigrid Kviteberg June 11, 2022

I want the field Invoice Number to be updated on a linked issue, no matter which of the issues it is updated on. 

E.g, the Invoice Number is inserted on an issue, and I want the linked issue to get the same number in the same field. Duplicate field.jpgIssue.jpg

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 11, 2022

Hi @Sigrid Kviteberg,

You should be able to do this through an automation rule. Have a look at this example from the template library. I think it does exactly what you need; you should just update the fields and project used to the ones from your example.

Hope this helps!  

Sigrid Kviteberg June 11, 2022

Thanks, but unfortunately it isn't working for me. 

The audit says that the linked issue is updated, but the value is not showing. 

Rule details.jpgCopy field.jpgaudit.jpgIssue to be updated.jpgIssue to copy from.jpg

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 11, 2022

Hi @Sigrid Kviteberg 

In your edit of the Invoice Number, you are copying from "current issue".  At that point in the rule, "current" issue is the one from the branch.  Please change that edit to copy from Triggering Issue, if that is what you wanted.

"Current Issue" ( which is the smart value {{issue}} ) can be different at different points in a rule.  For example:

• trigger: some trigger  (at this point, {{triggerIssue}} and {{issue}} are the same)
  • action: some action  (at this point, {{triggerIssue}} and {{issue}} are the same)
  • branch: to some issues
    • action: some other action  (at this point, {{triggerIssue}} and {{issue}} are different, where {{issue}} now refers to an issue from the branch)
  • action: another action  (at this point, {{triggerIssue}} and {{issue}} are the same)

Kind regards,
Bill

Like Walter Buggenhout likes this
Sigrid Kviteberg June 12, 2022

@Bill Sheboy 

Thank you, I finally managed to get it working setting the field as shown below. 

CopyFieldTrigger.jpg

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events